Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

How can I determine if a GFCI outlet is failing?

Customer Question

Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Like any electrical part, GFCI's can fail over time, especially the older GFCI's. Some GFCI's such as the older versions are very sensitive to the refrigerator compressor and can trip.
2) I DO NOT recommend that a fridge be GFCI protected. If they trip and you are not home, you will come home to spoiled food.
3) Code only requires that the kitchen counter top receptacles be GFCI protected. If the fridge receptacle is not part of the kitchen counter top, there is no reason to have the receptacle as a GFCI.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!