Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

A panel box is in a very small bathroom and a home inspector

Customer Question

A panel box is in a very small bathroom and a home inspector says that there is inadequate space around the box, 36 inches, and therefore the small vanity needs to be replaced. This building was constructed in 1983.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) The National Electrical Code requires the following space requirements at electrical panels:
A) Front working space clearance a minimum of 36" deep.
B) Clear width a minimum of 30" wide or width of equipment, which ever is greater. The panel is not required to be centered in the working space.
C) Panel door must be able to open at least 90 degrees.
2) I suggest the home inspector review NEC Article 110.26 (A)(2) Spaces About Electrical Equipment, Width of Working Space. NEC only requires 30" (thirty inches) and you have 36" of clearance.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!