Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I am looking to hook either 100 or 125 am service to building 275 feet from pole. it is un

Customer Question

I am looking to hook either 100 or 125 am service to building 275 feet from pole. it is underground in "dry" soil. I am using a 100 amp single breaker box off the main on the pole as a safety shut off. I am thinking 1/0 aluminum. I will not use more than a small welder or lights and small tools such as air compressor or table saw in the building. Is the 1/0 aluminum OK?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. 1/0 is fine and to attach to a breaker you may reduce the wire with a splice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike,Didn't get the reduction in wire with a splice? The breaker will sit less than a foot down the pole from the main breaker box on the pole which also is connected to the house. I was intending to use the same wire or copper to run from the pole to the 100 amp breaker box and then from the breaker to the outbuilding?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
The distance requires the larger wire to compensate for voltage drop. To attach to a lug smaller than the wire size, you may splice a smaller wire rated for the load to fit the lug.