Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

Replacing a ceiling light with a ceiling fan: There is no

Customer Question

Replacing a ceiling light with a ceiling fan: There is no ground wire coming from the ceiling. Nor is there a black and white wire: Only two black ones. Now what?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way. Is the ceiling box metallic or is it plastic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a metal x-shaped bracket, not a box.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Do you have ground wires elsewhere in your home i.e. at other outlets, lights etc. Also, do you have a voltage meter or detector? Let me know. Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are ground wires elsewhereI don't have a detector here, but can get one
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. your two black wires, one is the switched hot coming from the switch and the other is the neutral. Technically, you could connect the fan either way and it will work however, since we don't have a ground, it is important to connect the fan's black wire to the switched hot.So ID the switched hot and connect that to the black. Connect the fan's ground wire to the metal support. Please let me know if you need further help.Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.Steve