Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

My name is***** live in a house with a 125amp service

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** live in a house with a 125amp service panel that is 46 years old. I have a sub panel to it that feeds all new electrical in a kitchen remodel I did. The outside box is pretty full.
I have a solar company that sold me on needing to replace the 125 amp panel with a new 200 amp panel in order to accommodate the addition of 14 solar panels. No problem.
Today, I get a backtrack. Now I am being told the 125 service panel will work just fine. Issue to them is the engineering and costs to upgrade the underground feeds.
I Find adding a solar system to a 46 year old box troubling and dangerous.
It doesn't make sense to be told I need a 200 amp box, and now being told it's ok and good to go. I smell trouble with trying to add on that system to a near taxed old box. What say you?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any one there?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Connection of the PV panels to a grid tied electrical panel is accomplished via a double pole breaker that is fed from the PV inverter.
2) As long as you have space for a double pole circuit breaker and the PV system backfed connection from the inverter does not exceed 125 amps, you are OK.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.