Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have an outlet in my family room that a lamp with a three

Customer Question

I have an outlet in my family room that a lamp with a three way light bulb will not work. The lamp only goes on and off. It is only this outlet, the lamp works on other outlets, and no three way bulbs work in this outlet in any light.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Is the receptacle an "always live" receptacle or controlled by a wall switch?

2) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to measure for voltage at this receptacle? Need to confirm that this receptacle or the upstream receptacle or upstream wall switch does not have any loose wires.

3) Have you tried a different brand of a 3 way light bulb?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an always live outlet. I have tried different bulbs and different lamps and they work in other outlets. I will check on the voltmeter and let you know
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the confirmation and reply.

1) If you can obtain a voltmeter, take the following measurements at the receptacle and reply back to me..........Thanks..........Kevin!

A) Hot (short slot or brass screw) to Neutral (long slot or silver screw). Should = approximately 120 volts

B) Hot (short slot or brass screw) to Ground (Round hole or green screw). Should = approximately 120 volts

C) Neutral (long slot or silver screw) to Ground (Round hole or green screw). Should = 0 volts or very close to it