Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Is it legal to reduce conduit size and a conduit couplings

Customer Question

Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way. Can you give me a little more detail please? Reduce size from what to what? Let me know and I'll try and help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3/4 to 1/2 just before an instrument in a class 1 div 2 area I know the answer just cant find in code book
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm doing this from the road and I don't have my code book at hand but it's going to be in article 500.
I will opt out of this question which will allow other electrical experts to chime in with the full answer.
Hold on.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. You may use a 3/4" coupling and a 1/2 to 3/4" reducer to do it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What article says you can reduce conduit size in a coupling in a class1 doc 1 area
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
There isn't an article that says you can't. As long as you are in pipe is the only concern.