Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My mothers Hot Water Heater seemed to just quit working. I

Customer Question

My mothers Hot Water Heater seemed to just quit working. I assumed that the heating elements had gone out. These I have changed before. I turned off the power, drained the hot water heater and removed the upper element. It was fine. I replaced the element and asked what she wanted to do. She said lets get a New hot water heater. I got the new one filled it up with water and flipped the breaker on. Still no hot water. (Note: Before I disconnected the power the first time it had power to both elements and the second time was the same. I then decided to change the breaker thinking perhaps it was weak. Still the same. It has power going to both elements but it does not work. The elements are set to 150* Tomorrow I am going to purchase new wire and run that. What else can I do if this doesen't work?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Did you confirm for 120 and 240 volts at the water heater using an AC voltmeter under a "no-load" condition......ie....branch circuit not connected at the water heater?
You should measure 240 volts between the 2 hot conductors and 120 volts from each hot conductor to ground at the heater?
2) How many amps is the double pole circuit breaker? 30 amps?
3) What size wire from the breaker to the water heater? 10 AWG copper?
4) Is there a disconnect switch between the water heater and the circuit breaker?