Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I bought a new house and was going to install a light over

Customer Question

i bought a new house and was going to install a light over the dining room table. the ceiling box had 3 wires - black, white and green. when i tested where i was going to install the light there was power . when i went to the switches that i thought would control power to the light they did not turn the power off. I have 2 switches on either side of the room that are not used so i assume they are 3 way switches. I can turn the power off at the breaker without a problem. How can i turn off the light if there is always power to the light ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
Is the one light, the only one in the room?
Only 2 switches in the room also?
Remove the cover plates, and pull the switches away from the boxes, leaving them wired, and count all wires in the boxes and make note to which wire colors attach to the switches and which may only connect to each other.
Note them as switch #1 and #2 for reference.
Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks