Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Paul. I'm replacing an old ceiling fan that used a separate light switch and contr

Customer Question

Hi Paul. I'm replacing an old ceiling fan that used a separate light switch and control box with one that has a wireless remote. In the box, there are 3 lines of 14/2 wire. I have identified one as the source and another that goes to fan. However, once I disconnected the control box, only the light works
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
Can you please elaborate on the situation?
The original fan was controlled by a wall control?
Is that what the posting means:
"replacing an old ceiling fan that used a separate light switch and control box"
Or is it something else?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ceiling fan was wired to two separate boxes. The switch controls the light and the control box controls the fan. In the switch box, there are 3 lines of 14/2. One is the supply and one is the outgoing to the fan. I'm not sure what the third is. The control box was pigtailed in. I can send you a picture if you would like
Ok,
First, what is the exact problem with the new installation?
Second, I need the information on the OLD setup?
Was the fan controlled by a wall controller?
Or just a toggle switch?
The light is controlled by a simple toggle switch?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old set up was a fan with pull chains, the light was controlled by a toggle switch and the fan was controlled by wall controller.
The new system is not compatible with a wall controller since it has a remote and no pull chain. I can get the light to work but not the fan. The problem is with the lines coming out of the box.
Ok, thanks.
So, at the switch box, there are 3 separate 14/2 cables that were used with the fan controller, is this correct?
The light wiring is completely separated?
How many and what color wires in the ceiling box, and how are they connected to the fan?
The actual fans make and model my be beneficial as well.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 3 lines controlled the fan and light. I'm not sure what lines controlled what. The fan was controlled by a pigtailed control box At this point all I want to know is how to b
Ok,
In order to determine the problem, information needs to be conveyed.
If you can provide the information, I am sure we can get the fan operating.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get the fan to work. The light is getting power. In the old setup, they used the neutral as another hot. That's how they separated the fan and light functions. Here are some pictures.
Ok,
Thanks for the pictures, although they only show the cables that were first mentioned.
Wish they could help, but the wiring etc could have been in a number of variations.
I do not wish to make guesses on electrical wiring, all information is needed to determine the proper situation.
I will put the question back on the open board.
No need to reply, the site will notify you when the next expert posts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan has the usual black, green, white and blue. Black is fan, green is ground, white is neutral and blue is the fan. I can't figured out why the light works and the fan doesn't. The lines are connected through a remote box that has two wires, a black and white, that are connected to the fan box. The remote box then has the previously mentioned wires.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Not sure what you mean by a remote or a control box? Is this a single gang combination fan speed switch with a dimmer switch for the light?
2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter available to confirm the ceiling box wire functionality?
3) How many total wires and the wire colors at the ceiling box? Any groups of white or black wires spliced together at the ceiling box?
4) Please confirm, the new fan and light kit will only be controlled by a remote or will a wall switch be able to over ride the remote?
5) What ceiling wire color is connected to the light kit? Blue for the light kit connected to which ceiling wire?
6) Any white wires in the ceiling or wall switch box that have been re-identified with black electrical tape?
7) What type of switch was installed? A single pole or a 3-way. How many locations can turn the old fan or light kit ON/OFF? 1 or more?