AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I am trying to wire a room, it has one outlet and two ceiling

Customer Question

I am trying to wire a room, it has one outlet and two ceiling fans, and one light. It is a solarium, so the second light needs to come on later into the day when fall and winter hit.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Please provide some more details on the situation?This is a new installation? Or existing?What cables are in place for the wiring now?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry, this is my first time so I will be more clear.
Room is a Solarium, Currently has two ceiling light fans, one 8 Ft t8 light fixture and one two prong outlet. I currently have ONE 14-2 wire running to the room from the circuit box. Outlet is tied to wire first, then ceiling fans and then wire comes up to room and connected to a light switch to control T8 light fixture. It is on a 20-AMP breaker. I purchased a 15-Amp Single Pole decorator switch, and have connected T8 light fixture to it. When I connected line it always trips the breaker. Not sure what to do.
Ok, thanks.Not quite understanding the wiring scheme.We need to address what is where for everything in the room if you are needing instruction for everything.If just for the one light, then only that section.So lets address them as:Power cable to receptacle?From there to where? Etc?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached a pdf diagram. As stated 14.2 connects to outlet first below ground and then connects to light fan (all below ground) and then comes up into the room and connects to the Single Pole 15 Amp Switch which controls T8 light.
Ok,I see the diagram.It shows everything wired directly from the circuit breaker power, no switches or anything.Is that correct?In order to provide instruction for the wiring, the exact details of how and where the cables begin and end for each and every item need to be known.I do not see anything in the diagram except a one line to each item from the breaker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are connected the standard way, neutral to neutral, white to white, black to black. If you follow each line they will show where each wire travels. The single pole switch is connected with the wires from the light looped around the screws and the wire running from the circuit is plugged into the designated terminal holes. I think its pretty laid how it is. Anything more i may just confuse. What aren't you understanding?
Ok,lets try this:1. What all is NOT wired at this time?2. The cable runs from circuit breaker to receptacle, correct?3. Cable from receptacle to fan and light switches?4. One switch for all or separate switches for both fans together and light by itself?5. All of this is on 14/2 cable? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Everything is Wired Still, circuit breaker is in off position
2. Cable runs from circuit breaker and then is connected to outlet and then a foot down cable is connected to ceiling fans and then about two feet down cable is connected to single pole switch and pole switch is connected to T8 light fixture
3. What do you mean by receptacle?
4. Light switch only controls T8 light fixture
5. All of this is on ONE 14-2 Cable
Ok,First, a receptacle is what you plug items into. You may call it an outlet, but in electrical anything with a box is an outlet, so we have to be precise for wiring.So, cable from breaker to receptacle is white to silver screw and black to brass screw.Then from receptacle to fans since it appears they are powered all the time, is wired the same, white to the silver screw on the receptacle and black to the brass screw.Then the cable to the switch will be the same, color to color.At the switch box is where it changes. The white wire in and out to the light, tie directly together and wire nut to cap them off.You then take the black form each cable and connect to the switch, one wire to each of the brass screws on the switch.Then at the light, it is color to color again on the fixture wires. Let me know any clarification or other needed.Thanks
Sorry, missed one important detail.You stated it is all #14 wire, so you need a 15 amp breaker.#12 wire is required to in order to use a 20 amp breaker.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"Then the cable to the switch will be the same, color to color." Am I pulling cable from another section? Because currently the cable to receptacle is where it would end, as currently our placement has us Breaker to Receptacle to Fan. Or Am I running off of the receptacle to the T8 light?Also I will be switching the AMP breaker not the wire as I've already run everything.
Ok,the posting stated it was all wired.If there is no wiring to the T8 and switch, you need the new cable from anywhere you have power.Run the cable from power to the switch, then a cable from the switch to the T8 fixture.Wire one end at the power source, color to color.Then the other end at the switch, you wire the whites together and cap them off with a wire nut.Connect the 2 blacks to the switch.Then, of course at the fixture, you again connect color to color. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see where in the post I said that it wasn't wired. All I said was that i'd be switching the amp breaker not the wiring. I just needed to know where do I pull from for the switch. I understand we are going from the breaker box to the receptacle, the fan will be connected at the receptacle as well. But for the T8 switch where am I pulling the power for that?
OkPull the power from the receptacle. Then wire as previously posted twice.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the switch turning on and off won't affect the receptacle or fan?
No, the switch cannot affect the fan ro receptacle because it is not wired to them, the switch is getting power from them and the new cable goes to the T8 fixture only.New cable from receptacle to switch, connects white to the silver screw on the receptacle and black to the brass screw.That is constant ON powerThen run the new cable from the switch to the T8 fixtureNow, at the switch, combine the 2 whites together and connect the blacks to the switch.The switch now will control the T8 fixture ONLY and nothing elseThanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I attempted do what you asked. I drew out a diagram to show you my method ad maybe we can figure out what Im doing wrong.
Ok,
If that is a combination switch and receptacle, check the other side where the black is for the receptacle portion and see if there is a bridge between the 2 black screws.
If not, you need to add a wire from the bottom to the to top for the switch to have power.
Power goes to the black screws, white neutral to the silver screw, and the switch leg to the light on the brass screw.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They should just allow you to speak on the phone or some video stream lol, I'm not the best drawer. I will explain each section starting from the cable running from the breaker box."Receptacle has one outlet on the bottom and one flip switch on top"
Cable goes From Breaker Box is conjoined by wire nut w/ Ceiling Fan to appropriate colors
White Wire From T8 is conjoined on same wire nut w/Ceiling Fan
Black Wire From T8 is wrapped around brass screw on top left part of receptacle
New Small Extended Black & White wires go From where Ceiling Fan is conjoined by wire nut goes to black screw on receptacleI think if you read this with diagram it should allow to be a little more comprehensible thanks
Ok,
First, what is happening?
The switch does not turn on the light?
the light is on all the time and switch deosnt turn it off?
Nothing works?
You have not posted that you have a problem and what that problem is at this time.
Then I can suggest what to do to remedy the problem.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light switch does not work or the outlet. The fan works.
Ok, if the fan works, then you have a loose connection where all the whites join and all the blacks join.
There is nothing else that would cause the receptacle to not work when the fan does because they all get the power from the same wires.
The receptacle and switch for the T8 light wire as per the diagram
Wiring diagram below:
http://tinypic.com/r/2elaxk7/8