Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a new light but both wires from the light are clear

Customer Question

hi...I have a new light but both wires from the light are clear coating not black and white - how do I know which one to attach to black and white out of the ceiling
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Take a look at the exterior insulation on the 2 wires. Does one wire have a "smooth" insulation edge and the other wire has a "ribbed" insulation on the exterior edge?2) Or is one wire silver and the other wire is brass colored?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Ribbed insulation = neutral wire (connects to white). Smooth insulation = hot wire (connects to black).
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.