Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am installing a new light, the wires coming out of the ceiling

Customer Question

I am installing a new light, the wires coming out of the ceiling have a black and white wire tied together and a black, white and red tied together. What set attaches to the black wire on the light?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you on your electrical question. 1) How is the light controlled? By a pull chain or by a wall switch? If controlled by a wall switch, what are the wire colors on the switch?2) Was there a previous light fixture installed? If so, how was it connected? Or is this a new wiring installation?3) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
1) At the ceiling box is there a group of white wires that are spliced together and a single (lone) black or red wire that is not spliced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Light switch. Yes, an old basic Leviton. 2 black wires attached to 2 screws. Have voltage tester just never used. Have replaced other lights in home this one is different.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the replies. 1) How many lights are controlled by the switch? 1 or more?2) At the ceiling box, is there a group of white wires that are spliced together or a single white wire that is not spliced? The ceiling box must contain neutral conductors. Based on your description, it does not appear there is a neutral since the 2 whites are individually spliced to other wire colors? Something is not correct here. Please look at the ceiling box again and confirm the wire count, colors and splicing arrangements?3) At the switch, is each black wire terminated to an individual screw?4) How was the previous light fixture wired at the ceiling?