Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan - I can't find the manual

Customer Question

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan - I can't find the manual but I think it is a Hugger model and is about 10 years old - I have not used the fan all winter and now when I try it the remote does not work at all - it does not seem to be the fan because I have another remote that works - I have replaced the batteries and it still does not work - there is no way that the dipswitches could have been changed - what do I need to do and can I get a manual?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Just to make sure I understand, are you saying when you use another remote (for another fan) that the affected fan does work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - I'm using another remote for the same model Hampton fan - I just have had them it two different locations - they have both always worked - now one doesn't - they also both work from a wall switch
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. This sounds like a failed remote receiver. They do this frequently. Unfortunately, we get a rather high volume of questions here about remote controlled fans, particularly the Hampton Bay brand. I've had a customer or two tell me they had good luck getting Hampton Bay to warranty the receivers, and send them new ones for free. I have a number for them, and it may or may not get you to a Home Depot representative, since that's their store brand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems as though the one remote is simply unserviceable - and I wonder where I can get a replacement or if it can be made to work - I have never had trouble with it previously - only now after a winter layoffI did not know Home Depot was their store brand - I am near Toronto and your number may not work but let me have it anyway - thanks - any other information that you can give me?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I realize you said there is no way the dip switch settings could have been changed, but that does sound like a possible culprit. I can also post a link to a chart showing all possible settings. I'm going to pull up that phone number now. I'll post it in just a moment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'll check the dip switches with the other remote - thanks - maybe the chart will come in handy - do you know where I can get a manual - Hampton Bay isn't very helpful
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
1-***-***-****
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Looks like the site software blocked out the number. One moment...
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
One, eight seven seven, five two seven, zero three one three
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That's the number for Hampton Bay
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you could find the model number, I may be able to find the manual on their site. They have manuals there for a lot of their products.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
One moment while I find that chart for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find the model number - there is nothing on the remote and the fan is on an 11 foot ceiling and I can't get at it
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I just remembered a site that you may find helpful. It's the one where I get the chart for dip switch settings. I'll post some links for you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It shows many models of Hampton Bay remotes.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
http://www.eceilingfans.com/remote_control_dip_set.html
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
http://www.eceilingfans.com/ceiling_fan_remote_controls.html
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
According to their site info, that's a list of many of the Hampton Bay remotes they have available, but not all of them.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You may also want to try calling them. Here's the number... one, nine seven nine, five five three, three two six zero