AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a light switch which controls a fan with a light. I

Customer Question

I have a light switch which controls a fan with a light. I am replacing both of the switches with the more modern rocker type switch with quickwire push in. i have done elsewhere in the house. This switch however has two black wires to the bottom screw on the right side of the switch and a red wire stuck in the back. I read that you should do the pigtail and could do that. This switch however looks like it could accomodate two wires on the quick connect screw. Also if the red shouldnt go to the hole in the back where should it go on this new switch. I only have the green on the top left and two screws on the right.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Ok,
First, if your new switch only has 2 brass screws, then it is designed for 2 connections
One hot and one for the light..

If the old switch also has only 2 brass screws, it is designed for 2 connections as well

Putting 2 wires on one screw is not allowed and should never be done.

The push in holes can be used, but we never recommend using them , because at some point the connection gets loose and will fail causing issues later.

So, it sounds like th eold switch has 2 wires sharing one screw point and it is best to tie them together, add a short 6" wire to them and wire nut all 3 together.
Then connect the short 6": wire to the switch on one of the screws.

Then connect the red wire to the other screw.

Let me know if anything is unclear, just reply. Want to be sure the situation is understood so you can complete the installation.
Thanks