Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a 50 amp main in my park model camper. I want to wire

Customer Question

I have a 50 amp main in my park model camper. I want to wire a storage shed. The shed will have a washer and dryer, some wall plugs and lighting. Can I install a subpanel with a 50 amp breaker to the subpanel?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to say that 50 amp breaker in from the main panel in the park model.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) I'm not understanding your question. Please clarify. Will the sub-panel be fed from the main electrical panel at the home or from an RV Park sub-panel or from the park model panel?
What size feeder circuit for the sub-panel? 50 amp?
I'm not understanding how the park model electrical panel applies to your question?
2) What type of dryer? A 240 volt electric or a gas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kevin -- The subpanel will be fed from the main electrical panel which is in the park model. The distance from the main electrical panel is about 30 feet away from the shed.
Thanks,
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the confirmation Mike.
1) What type of dryer? A 240 volt electric or a gas? I assume a 240V electric?
2) Does the park model electrical panel have 2 consecutive spare slots to accommodate a double pole breaker?
3) Are you aware that you will not be able to run normal loads within the park model while simultaneously running loads in the shed?
4) I assume that the park model is a permanent setup in an RV park? Is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) The dryer is 240 volt.
2) Yes there is a place for a double pole breaker.
3) I'm not sure what you mean. Right now I can run the dryer, both ACs and normal appliances without a problem. The difference would be the dryer would be in the shed and some lighting would be used out there too.
4) Yes the park model is a permanent setup.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
OK, very good Mike.
1) I will calculate the voltage drop and will get back to you shortly. Thanks!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) At the Park Model electrical panel, you will need a 50 amp double pole circuit breaker for the 50 amp feeder circuit.
2) All sub-panels require a 4 wire feeder circuit comprised of 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment grounding conductor.
3) National Electrical Code recommends that the voltage drop be 3% or less.
Using a 50 amp load @ 240 volts on a 30 foot run results in using 6 AWG Copper conductors, type THWN insulated for the 2 hots and 1 neutral. This results in a voltage drop % of .6% (point six %) or a loss of 1.4 volts. Therefore, 6 AWG Copper meets the code recommendation.
4) The equipment grounding conductor needs to be a 10 AWG copper, type THWN insulated (green).
5) I recommend to use Schedule 80 Gray electrical PVC conduit for the 4 wires. You can use Underground Feeder cable, but conduit is always recommended since you only want to trench and dig the feeder run one time. Using Underground cable, there is always a chance that the cable can get punctured from shifting soil conditions and then you will need to dig the trench to locate the problem, etc. Thus conduit is the preferred installation. Minimum conduit diameter size = 1" (one inch). I recommend to increase the PVC conduit size to the next trade diameter of 1 1/4" as this will make the wire pull easier. Minimal buried depth on the conduit = 18" below final grade. I also suggest installing a Warning Ribbon tape approximately 6" below final grade over the 3o foot run. This will provide a warning that an electrical line exists below if any future digging or trenching in that area occurs.
6) Since the shed is a detached building, you will need a quantity of (2) two 8 foot ground rods spaced a minimum of 6 feet apart. You will need an 8 AWG copper wire as the grounding electrode conductor from the 2 rods to the sub-panel equipment grounding bar. No splices allowed on the grounding electrode conductor as the 8 AWG copper ground wire will be a contiguous run from the 2 rods to the sub-panel equipment grounding bar.
7) At the sub-panel, DO NOT install the green main bonding screw or a main bonding strap on the neutral bus bar. The neutral must always remain isolated from the sub-panel metal enclosure. Only white neutrals will land on the neutral bus bar and never any bare copper or green ground wires.
8) At the sub-panel, you will need a separate equipment grounding bar to land the 10 AWG copper equipment ground wire as well as the 8 AWG grounding electrode wire and any bare copper grounds if using Romex cable inside the shed. DO NOT land any white neutrals onto the separate equipment ground bar.
9) The 120V shed receptacles need to be GFCI protected.
10) At the shed, you will need (1) one 30 amp double pole breaker for the electric dryer. The dryer circuit needs to be a 4 wire circuit using 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground. You may need to swap out the cord if it is a 3 prong cord as you will now need a 4 prong cord and a 4 prong dryer receptacle.
11) For the general lighting and receptacle circuit inside the shed, install one 20 amp single pole breaker.
12) The shed can either be a 50 amp main lug or a 50 amp main breaker panel. I always prefer using a main breaker panel as this provides a "means-of-disconnect" if you need to shut down the panel for any future maintenance.
13) Tape your 3 wire feeders using black and red for the 2 respective hot conductors and white for the neutral. Tape at both ends using electrical tape.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I believe I can do this with your step by step instruction. Really great.
Thank you,
sends.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
No problem Mike. If you run into any problems, just come back to this same question and I'll be happy to assist with any other questions. Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!