AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

My question is on a electric dryer outlet is giving 120 on

My question is on a electric dryer outlet is giving 120 on each leg but when i put my meter on both I don't get 240. I should get 240 right?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 8 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, you are correct on the dryer receptacle. 120 volts from either of the outside slots to the inside slot. 240 volts between the 2 outside slots.

AssuredElectrical :

Have tested the breaker at the panel yet, that is where to start and move forward.

Customer:

O.K. If the breaker is good what else could be the issue?

AssuredElectrical :

you measure 240 volts at the breaker terminals where the wires connect? correct?

Customer:

Yes

AssuredElectrical :

is the dryer plugged in or disconnected?

Customer:

disconnected

AssuredElectrical :

is this a 3 wire or 4 wire dryer receptacle?

Customer:

3

AssuredElectrical :

is the receptacle surface mounted or inside abox in the wall?

Customer:

surface

AssuredElectrical :

have you removed the cover and then checked the wire connections at the screws?

Customer:

no not yet

AssuredElectrical :

that would be first check, then go to the panel and find the neutral wire that connects to the bar in the panel and be sure it is tight also

Customer:

Will do thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you trace the cable to see if it goes to a junction box anywhere along the way also

AssuredElectrical :

1. Check the neutral wire connection at the panel. 2. Check the terminals in the receptacle itself at the dryer for any looseness, broken connections or burn out at the terminals,especially the center one. That is the most common. 3. If all is good so far, then be sure the cable is a straight shot from the panel to the receptacle, could be a junction along the way and it has become loose. 4 If still no luck, remove the wires from the breaker, and the wire from the neutral bar, set your meter to ohms and run a continuity check on the wires to be sure they are intact from the breaker to the receptacle. Testing one set at a time by touching them together and measuring at the other end for continuity 5. While the wires are off the breaker, test once more for 240 at the breaker.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade