Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.

I have a basement currently wired with 5 incandescent fixtures

I have a basement currently wired with 5 incandescent fixtures and two (double throw) wall switches. I wish to replace the incandescent fixtures with two-tube fluorescent fixtures and install a separate pull-chain switch on each fixture. When the wall switches power the circuit, I wish to control individually which fixture is powered with the pull-chains. How can I wire a fluorescent fixture and switch into this circuit such that the circuit will remain hot if the wall switches on in the on position?
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you.

Do the fluorescent fixtures come with pull chain switches?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, they did not. I intend to drill a mount hole in the end piece of each fixture and wire the black lead from the switch to the black wire on the ballast; the other switch wire will connect to the line (black) in some manner that I don't yet understand.

Hey Roy, this is what you need to do.

you need to splice all the white wires including white wire from fixture together and cap off with wire nut.
splice black wires coming in to the light fixture and one of the black wires from pull chain switch ( if the wire from pull chain switch is not ling enough you can extend it by using piece of black wire) together. splice another black wire from pull chain switch and black wire from light fixture ( ballast ) together.

That should do it.

Let me know if you have more questions.