Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Main Block question in 60 amp fuse box

Was just visiting earlier with someone regarding a problem we were having recently with an old 60 amp fuse box. We are systematically going through the house and checking / tightening outlets etc in anticipation of an electrician coming out to upgrade to circuit panel. We have two blocks sitting above 4 buss fuses. Recent problem is when we put the Main block back in sometimes the power would not come on to all circuits until we pulled out block slightly and then all would be well. We cleaned contacts thinking that might be it even though all looked pretty decent. It happened at various times and not necessary the same circuit would be affected. Wasn't blowing the fuses at all. I had asked earlier if we could replace the Main block and the Range block since the Range block hadn't had the in and out "abuse" that the Main had been having due to our pulling it to do work. I was told that I could do that (checking first of course to make sure the size of cartridge fuses were the same). We just checked the Main block and found that two of the screws in the corners of the face of the block were loose - one quite dramatically so. We tightened those up and put the block back in. Could this have been part of the problem is the first question and second question would be ... could any negative consequences result from tightening those screws...not sure how they could have come loose....any insights would be fantastic

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you.Any connection or current carrying part of the electrical system should be tight to allow for there not to be a loss of voltage or a total loss of power. When there is current the metal components heat and expand. When the current is less or off, the cool and contract. This is what causes things to become loose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, I assume that no harm was done in tightening the screws on the face of the Main Block? Can they be too tight?

No harm done. Only too tight if you strip them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

awesome. thanks!

One more thing. If circuits flip back and forth in working, check your neutral connections. That is the common between them.