Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

I have 3 individual projector lights that are staked in the

I have 3 individual projector lights that are staked in the ground. You may have seen these on QVC. Each light projects a laser beam onto your house. My question is about the 'gauge' of the extension cords that I will need to use? All 3 lights will be 50 feet out and 2 of them will plug into one cord (has 3 plugins) and the other one will have its own extension cord at 50 feet out. They are rated at: 5 to 8 watts for each one. < 1 mW. Just need to know what gauge you would recommend? Thank you. name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Just to confirm, 2 of the lights will be 50 feet away from a plug-in receptacle and the 3rd light will be another 50 feet away totaling 100 feet from a receptacle?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All 3 lights will be equal distance from receptacle at 50 feet for all 3. 2 lights will be plugged into one ext cord and the other will be at another location but also at 50 feet out.

1) Hello Lon...... thank you for your reply.

2) A standard 3-prong (with ground) extension cord using either 16 AWG copper or 14 or 12 AWG copper will work. Since your total connected load is only .6 amps, the voltage drop is next to nothing. Cost wise, using a 16 AWG standard 50 foot extension cord from Home Depot or Lowe's is perfectly acceptable and will work fine.

3) Just make sure that you plug the extension cord into a GFCI protected receptacle. I also recommend to use an "in-use" bubble cover at the GFCI receptacle where you intend to plug the extension cord into. This will keep the extension cord at the receptacle protected from the weather.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

Lon......thank you for the excellent service rating ..............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening.............Thanks................Kevin!