Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have 120v between the black power wire and bare ground (not

I have 120v between the black power wire and bare ground (not the neutral) in a 3 way lighting circuit. The switch is off. How can this happen? There are multiple lights on the circuit.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. You had a bad connection on a neutral in an outlet ahead of where you tested. I'll give you a procedure, that most times pin points where. Let me know how you do.

Wiggle Procedure

You have a circuit with dead outlets and maybe some dead lights on it or you’re experiencing flickering on a circuit. You will need a 2 wire voltage tester to check the outlet. A Multimeter or a Volt/Con are suggested. I prefer the Volt/Con because there are no settings to make, it does continuity and is audible. Success begins with knowing what you’re looking for.

1] No voltage reading between the hot and the neutral or ground indicates an open hot.

2] No reading between the hot and the neutral but 120V between the hot and ground and 120V between the neutral and ground indicates an open neutral.

3] No continuity between the neutral and ground – Check for tripped GFCI device first

4] If all the branch circuit breaker are on you have a bad connection on the hot or neutral wires. The usual cause is a bad connection, either a termination on a device or connection in a wire nut.

Over the years I’ve found the easiest way to locate the opening needing examination and correction is to wiggle the devices.

5] The first step in this exercise is to get a lamp to act as an alert. Make sure the lamp works and in the on position. You may also use something like a vacuum cleaner or blow dryer, for an audible alert. Don’t use anything electronic, like a radio.

6] Plug it into a dead outlet.

7] Now with a cube tester or any plug you will need to go to all the dead outlets and any live outlets in the area, insert the plug and wiggle the device side to side slightly. Watch the test lamp or listen for the other alerts as you wiggle the devices.

If the loose or bad connection is present the wiggle action may make it contact briefly and the lamp or the other things will alert you . Having found the suspected outlet all that is left is to correct the bad connection.

If the device is a push back wired device, this probably is the cause of the circuit failure. All wires must be terminated under the screws. Also you should never put more than one wire under a screw.

This troubleshooting procedure works in most cases and won’t have you open boxes un-necessarily. Keep in mind that the problem is in one of two places in the circuit, either in the first dead outlet or the live outlet just ahead of it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is a lighting circuit only, no receptacles. Could the problem be in a light fixture.

That would be a possibility. If the feed neutral isn't open their, it could be in another place ahead of that light. Let me know and I give you more directions.
The following will assist you in finding the open and help with other troubleshooting in the future.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here