Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

Hi Jerry,We have owned and loved our Dimplex fireplace

Hi Jerry,

We have owned and loved our Dimplex fireplace model SF5601 for about 15 years. It has worked perfectly (with the occasional need to change a lightbulb)...until now. Flames show up, but no flickering. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Deb
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..the moving flames are created by a 'rotisserie' device turned by a motor. You can see that >>>HERE<<<

If the whirring has stopped, the motor has likely failed. It is part(NNN) NNN-NNNNP. I think you are going to have a hard time finding a spare - I couldn't but you can call >>>THESE GUYS<<< and give them a try.

I hope that answers your question. If it does, please remember to rate the service I provided by clicking a smiley face, then "Submit." Don't worry, that won't close your question... you can come back whenever you want for more information. Now, if this didn't answer your question, just click "Reply to Expert" and let me know!

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve,

Is it possible that either the switch or the master board/transformer board is defective and that the motor is really ok? It does not look like electricity is getting to the motor.

Thanks,

Deb

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
That is possible. If you have a multimeter, I can try and walk you through it.

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve,

Great. My husband has found that there is power going into the "control board", however, there does not seem to be any power going to the motor.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve,

Did I lose you?

Deb

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
The motor is controlled only by a potentiometer. 120V goes to a transformer and then to the motor which is 12V.

If you have 120V into the transformer but not 12V out, then the transformer is bad. If you do have 12V out, then it is either the potentiometer or the motor.

>>>CLICK HERE<<< for a handy schematic which should help your husband a lot.

Steve
Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience: 27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve, You have been extremely helpful. I have printed out the schematic....not sure we can decipher this very well, but appreciate your faith in us.

We do have 120V into the transformer, but no power coming out. Is it possible to find this transformer online? D0157C is the part no. of the transformer. Is this an appropriate no. to use to search for this part. And, you think this is likely the problem?

It seems a shame to replace the entire insert because we can't find this one part.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve!

You really ARE good. We put the whole machine back together & it sprang back to life! Loose connection?

Deb

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps the rotisserie got a bit gummed up - dust etc. and that was remedied when you took it apart.

In any event, I'm glad to hear that you have it going.

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve,

You were great and, like you said, perhaps time and dust "gummed" up the works. I will be sure to leave excellent feedback.

Thanks again,

Deb