Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

electricity in several portions of my my condo are not working

electricity in several portions of my my condo are not working including the outside outlets and porch light
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you.

Did you check if your neighbor has the same problem by any chance?

2. Do you have volt meter with two probes?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I haven't asked & they are not all home at this time. In a unit of 6 units on top of 6 units below. I don't know what is meant by the volt meter with two probes. How do I determine that?

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
1. How many rooms are not working?

2. Do you have any 220v appliances like oven, electrical dryer or electrical range?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

basically the front porch & outdoor electrical outlets (including the outlet in the front storage by the water heater), 1/2 of the living room, 1/2 of the loft upstairs

(the portion that shares the same wall), and 1/2 of the

bedroom downstairs. The bedroom downstairs is puzzling

because their is no common wall to the others that are

not working.

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Do you have any 220v appliances like electric dryer, range or oven?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes - dual fuel (gas range & electric oven) appliance in the

kitchen (working fine) & an apartment washer/dryer combo

which are both working fine

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Do you know where is the electrical panel?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

there is one in the bottom bedroom & the main one is outside the building unit

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Before we get to the panel. Can you turn on oven and tell me if it heats up?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

set the oven to preheat 475 & the electric coils are red -

appears to be heating. should i wait for the ready ring?

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
No.

Now in the bedroom panel. How many breakers are there? Are there any 2 pole breakers in it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

there are on the left side of the panel - set of 2 blue switches, set of 1 blue & 1 red, 2 sets of green with

a bar plate around them - on the right side of panel -

set of 1red & 1 blue, 1 blue & 1 red with a bar plate around

them, set of 2 red, & lastly one red on the last switch.

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Are the breakers labeled?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes-left side: blue-common

blue-common

blue-family

red-washer

green-dryer}

green-AC} }these are connected by

green-AC} plate bar

green-dryer}

right side: red-disposal}

blue-oven} }these are connected by

blue-oven} plate bar

red-dishwasher}

red-kitchen/red-kitchen & lastly red-no label

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for such a detailed list. Does that panel have main breaker in it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I think the main breaker is the one outside the building

in a common place

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Hmmm.

Lets do this. Lets shit one by one each breaker off and then turn them back on. Let me know if that helps.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
For the next step we will need electrical multimeter and to open panel and check voltage there.

Can you do it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have the tools, but must admit I've never used them &

really don't know how

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Do you rent the place or you own it?

Also in the common area panel are only main breakers for each unit or individual single breakers as well?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I own the condo. I bought 8 years ago & replaced the main panel then. common area panel has each unit # XXXXX to the breaker with the meters next to them

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
There is one more thing left to do without tools. We need to shut each breaker off. Then go and turn main breaker for your unit off and then back on.

Let me know if you can do it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did - no difference

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry but now we need to do troubleshooting , we need to start from opening panel in the bedroom and checking breakers. The panel is live and if you are not confident that you can do it I'm afraid it's time to call electrician.
Before calling electrician you might want to check with your neighbors if they have similar problem. If they do then most likely it's utility problem. However since you said that 220v electric appliances work then it looks like a problem in your unit.

Unfortunately I can only do that much from here.

Let me know if you think I can be more help.
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience: Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok, looks like i need to call an electrician. thanks so much

for your help.

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
You are welcome .

I'm sorry I could not help farther.

please consider rating my answer when satisfied as its the only way I get paid my share of your payment.