Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have an Eaton 15 amp AFCI breaker that has tripped. It would

I have an Eaton 15 amp AFCI breaker that has tripped. It would not reset. I went to the bedroom affected and the lights and receptacles are dead. I unplugged everything, turned off the light switches then the breaker would reset. Each time I would plug in one thing the breaker would trip or just turning on a light it would trip. Wondering if the breaker is bad? The house was built new 2 years ago. This breaker has tripped I believe twice in the past two years but now trips when there is any load on it.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Do you have any other 15 amp AFCI breakers located in your main electrical panel?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes and they are working fine and are wired the same as the one in question.

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the reply Darrin

1) In order to isolate if the existing 15 amp AFCI is faulty or not, I would recommend to label the conductors on the suspected AFCI so they correspond to the circuit breaker slot number. Turn the AFCI breaker to the OFF position and remove the conductors from the AFCI in question.

2) Locate another 15 amp AFCI. Turn it to the OFF position and label the conductors on that AFCI that correspond to the circuit breaker slot number. Remove the conductors from a known working AFCI breaker

3) Temporarily, "roll" the suspected circuit conductors from the original AFCI to a known working AFCI and determine if the connected loads will allow the AFCI to function properly. The trouble will either go away or will follow to the known working AFCI.

4) If the trouble goes away, then the suspected bedroom AFCI needs to be replaced. If the trouble follows to a known working AFCI breaker, very possible you have a loose termination connection or a faulty splice within the bedroom circuit which will require further investigation.

5) Let me know how you make out by "rolling" the circuit and we can take it from there.........Thanks............Kevin!

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience: 27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Darrin.............Thank you for the excellent service rating................much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening...............Thanks............Kevin!