Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I want to upgrade my house service from 100 amp to 200 amp

I want to upgrade my house service from 100 amp to 200 amp what equipment would you suggest

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Are you looking for a list of materials most commonly needed for an upgrade?

Customer:

it doesn't look like i'm logged in

Jason :

I can see your reply now. Initially, it was bouncing you in and out of the chat.

Customer:

yes that would help

Jason :

Two of the items you'll need are already likely obvious to you...

A 200 amp breaker panel (meaning it will have a main breaker in it, rated at 200 amps).

A 200 amp meter base, to replace the 100 amp currently in use, on the outside of your house.

Jason :

Is the service fed from an overhead wire?

Customer:

yes it is

Jason :

OK, then you need a 2" riser from the meter base going up to the overhead connections.

Jason :

I prefer to see the load wires between the meter base and the panel in conduit as well. But that isn't a requirement. Do you plan to put that portion of the service in pipe?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

That usually requires a 2" LB fitting. Are you familiar with those?

Customer:

be back in a few

Jason :

We typically use 2/0 aluminum wire for 200 amp services.

Jason :

You'll need a couple of ground rods, spaced 6' apart, outside near the meter base.

Jason :

We usually run #6 copper wire between these, and into the house to the ground bar in the main panel. Make sure that's one continuous run of copper wire for the ground.

Jason :

Three conductors in the riser, and three from the meter base to the panel.

Jason :

Each direction from the meter base will have two hots, and one neutral.

Jason :

We don't typically put ground wires in the riser or the pipe from the meter to the panel. We also don't usually run ground wires from the rods into the meter base.

Jason :

However, some municipalities require that, so you may want to check with them. You need ground rod clamps for the grounding I've described.

Jason :

I like SE (service entrance) wire from the meter to the panel, so I don't have to pipe it all the way from the meter to the panel. Instead of that, I prefer to just stub conduit into the house.

Jason :

The SE cable has an overall outer jacket on it, typically gray in color.

Jason :

For the riser, I prefer a triplex type wire, with no overall outer jacket. If you want to buy one type of wire only, you can strip the jacket off of SE cable for the riser, if you prefer.

Customer:

not really

Jason :

I agree. I've done it that way when necessary, but it's nice to not have to go through the labor of taking that jacket off of the wire before putting it in the riser.

Customer:

what type of meter can do you suggest?

Jason :

Almost exclusively, I see Milbank brand meter bases in this area.

Jason :

I see a typo from one of my earlier replies. It's 4/0 aluminum, not 2/0, for 200 amps.

Customer:

ok gotcha

Jason :

No rush at all, but I'm curious as to whether I've covered all of your questions about the upgrade.

Customer:

yes i think you have sir have a good night