Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am installing a new kenmore electric wall oven model no.

I am installing a new kenmore electric wall oven model no.(NNN) NNN-NNNNinto an existing kitchen cabinet. I have turned off the 40 amp breaker at breaker box to oven, disconnected the wiring and removed the old unit. The wiring at the junction box from the breaker box is 10 guage. There is a black, white and ground wire that was connected to the old unit. The new oven unit has a black, white red and ground wire coming from a terminal on back of oven..... What color match up from wall wiring to new oven wiring to I use?

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Do you mind standing by while I look up the electrical specs for the oven? Or, do you have that data, perhaps in the literature or on a data plate somewhere on the unit? Specifically, I would like to know the rated amperage or wattage.

Jason :

I found the specs Online. It requires a 30 amp 240 volt feed.

Customer:

I will look

Jason :

So, your wire size is good. The breaker should be replaced with a double pole 30 amp, just to properly protect the wire.

Jason :

As for the connections, please connect as follows...

Jason :

Black from wall to black on unit.
White from wall to red on unit.
Ground from wall to white and ground on unit.

Customer:

Ok. thats good....I have an existing 40 amp breaker in the box. Are you suggestion that this be replaced with a 30 amp?

Jason :

Yes, I would swap it with a properly branded 30 amp. That is the best way to protect the wire, and keep it from becoming overloaded.

Customer:

Got it... Thank you

Jason :

You are most welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you?