Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am adding a ceiling-mount light fixture in our third bedroom.

I am adding a ceiling-mount light fixture in our third bedroom. Already there is a ceiling fan with a light kit in the room. Fan and light kit are switched separately. I need to take power from these existing two switches. (I am adding a separate switch box and switch next to the exiting box but about 6 inches away.)

The existing box with the two switches has three Romex cable coming in: two are two-wire, and one is three-wire with a red. All the white wires are wire-nuted together. The black wire from the 2-wire romex lines are wire-nutted together except for one wire which runs to the bottom of the fan switch where it joins a single black wire connecting it to the bottom of the light switch. The black line from the 3-wire romex runs to the top of the fan switch. The red wire runs to the top of the light switch.
How do I add the line to the new light switch?

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

The splice of 3 existing whites will get your new white wire added to it. The splice of two blacks will get your new black wire added to it. That will get a constant hot and a neutral into the new switch box. In that box, connect the black to the top screw on the new switch, and splice the outgoing white to the incoming white. Connect the outgoing black to the bottom terminal on the switch.

Customer:

Jason,

Customer:

This sounds logical. I need to turn to power back off and follow these directions. I have bookmarked the page so I can return to it after I make the connection.

Jason :

OK, sounds good. I'll be here for a little while yet.

Customer:

Jason,l

Customer:

It works like a champ. You did well. Thanks.

Jason :

You are most welcome. I'm glad to hear you were successful.