AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Confusing: for several months our elec oven has been working

Confusing: for several months our elec oven has been working intermittently - now it won't heat more than 350 deg. The broiler and range top work fine. Recently our microwave smelled like it was burning (electrical) I installed a new microw and it will not sustain heating - heats for 1 minute then stops as if you set the power to be less than 100%. We have been in this house for 20 years and have seen our underground power interrupted - usually one phase - multiple times. The tipoff is always when the dining room chandelier starts to flicker. Our next door neighbor has the same problem - and the light has been flickering lately. PECO came out and did a test and said no trouble found. Over the summer they installed a "smart meter" on a neighbors house 2 doors up. I declined their offer to install a smart meter - heard they were dangerous. The smart meter install and the beginning of our intermittent problems occurred roughly the same time as best I can remember. But again, we have had service interruptions 4 or 5 times on one phase of our AC over the years. Something is up and I cant figure it out. Our elec panel is a Murray Arrow Heart and I don't know how to tell which breakers are on what phase - if I knew I could test the micro wave on a different phase to do some troubleshooting.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

On the Murray panel, the breakers are lined up and down. Row on the left and row on the right. The left top breaker is called the #1 position. The right top is #2 position. The breakers below them are numbered +2. So, on the left, is 1-3-5-7-9-11-13 and the left side is 2-4-6-8-10-12-14. Now, on the power, it connects starting at the #1-2 position on phase 1. Then the #3-4 position on phase 2. So, what you have is every other breaker on the left and right side is on the same phase. Example: 1-2,5-6,9-10 are all the same on phase one, then the 3-4,7-8,11-12 are all the same on the other phase. This allows the use of a double pole breaker to be installed and operate at 240 volts

AssuredElectrical :

I do not understand a poor rating when I have yet to post an answer?

AssuredElectrical :

Can you please advise how this is determined?

AssuredElectrical :

If you are on line, the system does not show for some reason. Thanks

AssuredElectrical :

If you happen to come back to the site, the answer for the question, is posted now, thanks

I was contacted by customer service and told that you are unable to view the answer in live chat.

I have switched to this Q and A format to attempt and cure the issue.

Please advise with a reply if this does indeed resolve the issue.

Thanks. I also re-posted the previous answer also.

On the Murray panel, the breakers are lined up and down with a Row on the left and row on the right.
The left top breaker is called the #1 position. The right top is #2 position.
The breakers below them are numbered +2. So, on the left, is 1-3-5-7-9-11-13
and the right side is 2-4-6-8-10-12-14.
Now, on the power, it connects starting at the #1-2 position on phase 1.
Then the #3-4 position on phase 2.
So, what you have is every other breaker on the left and right side is on the same phase.

Example: 1-2,5-6,9-10 are all the same on phase one, then the 3-4,7-8,11-12 are all the same on the other phase.
This allows the use of a double pole breaker to be installed and operate at 240 volts

Your panel may have more or less positions, but they are numbered the same no matter the number.