AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I rescued three brand new floor lamps from a dumpster. One

I rescued three brand new floor lamps from a dumpster. One had been a floor model, and only that one was already wired, and had a plug. My friend wired one of the others, and I sort of watched how he did it. But now I have to wire this third one, and I've already sold off the two that I could have used as models!

There is one central pole the wires go through, with three branch points (empty metal boxes with holes to wire the sockets through). The bottom and top boxes have spaces for two bulbs each, for a total of five 60W incandescents.

I bought five sockets at the hardware store that I'm pretty sure are the type used on the other lamps -- they are "porcelain keyless socket adapter kits." However,unlike the sockets my friend put in, these ones don't have a pair of wires already attached. I have the correct wire to use, and I know how to connect it at the end to an appropriate cord with a switch and plug. Can someone help me get the wiring right on this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

What exactly is it that is needed on the wiring? You have the sockets, correct?
A switch? Wire?

Let me know and we can continue, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the sockets, but no wire coming off them (but I can use the package instructions), and I need to wire them all together, and connect the plug.

Ok,thanks.

So, is there a switch in the lamp? Or will it turn on when plugged into the wall?

What wires do you have, just lamp cord?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have several cords that have plugs at one end and an on/off switch, ready to be attached to the wires that will ultimately come out of the lamp (going to the five bulbs).

The wires I was going to use are heavier duty than normal lamp cord, and stiffer -- they look like insulated copper, with the copper a little over a millimeter in diameter.

Ok, thanks for the information.

If the switch is in the cord, then you will do the following.

The 2 screws on the sockets, one will connect to the center point in the socket, and one will connect to the outer shell that the bulb threads into.

You will take one wire and connect to one screw and one to the other.

Now, take all the wires that connect to the shell screw and twist them all together.

Do the same for the other screw to the center point.

Now, look at your lamp cord, one side of that little cable will be smooth, and one will have a ridge or ripple on it.

The ridge or ripple side will connect to the wires on the SHELL screw of the socket.

The smooth side will connect to the screw on the center point of the socket.

That insures that the lamp power will be correct on the bulbs.

Let me know any other info needed or clarification, juts reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I think that makes sense to me.... I didn't mention, though, that the three boxes are about 15" apart from each other. What my friend on his was to get all the sockets in position, with two short wires from each one threaded into the nearest box. Then he put two long pieces of the copper wire down the middle pole to the bottom, where they'll connect to the plug. At the top, i can attach that wire to the top socket, but how do I attach the other short wires to the main piece?

I need more information or picture of the situation.

Not quite able to visualize what you are posting on the "short wires"

Can you post a picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh good idea. Yes, hold on, I'll go take a couple -- I forgot I could do that!

Ok, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Here I'm attaching a picture of the center tube, and you can see the bottom and the middle round metal boxes in line with it, with holes for the sockets as well. The covers come off the boxes, and you store the wire connections in there, I guess. The other picture is of the sockets I bought - the one out of it's package is correct, and I think the one in the package is the same.

GEA center wire tube

Ok, if those holes are for the sockets in the boxes:

You would run your main wire up the tube, stop at box one and wire to the socket wires, then up to box 2 and so forth.

The main wire would just be a junction at each box.

So, it is like using a new wire from box 1 to box 2 and at box 1 you connect the cable to box 2 along with the wires to the socket at box 1.

Is that making proper understanding? Hopefully the wording helps correctly.

See if this helps:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Neat diagram -- thanks! But a tiny bit more complicated, as there are two bulbs to attach in box 1, and also in box 3. I guess I should attach each of those to the main wire separately, right? So as not to force the current for the top light bulb to travel through the thinner wires, used for the socket connections... (I know I'm not saying that right...) Basically, treat each of the two sockets in box 1 as if they were in their own little box -- they shell wires from the two lights won't touch each other directly, but will both attach to the ridged main wire. Does that sound right?

Sounds like you have it right.

You have the main wire as you stated, and it will connect to each socket wire directly as it goes from box to box, correct.

Like a tree trunk and it connects to each branch directly.
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade