Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Two questions: 1. I have a set of 3-way switches which

Two questions:

1. I have a set of 3-way switches which indicate control, but i cannot find out what they control. I have a feeling they were connected to a ceiling light which has been removed and the hole covered so the junction box is no longer visible. How do i find that so i make just one hole in that ceiling?

2. I have a light socket which is dead and i cannot find any switch that controls it. How do i find the controlling switch?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) A 3-way switching arrangement will have 2 brass screws and 1 black screw on each 3-way switch. At one of the 3-way switches, the black screw will be the circuit feed from the electrical panel. At the 2nd 3-way switch, the black screw will be the "switched loop" conductor that will go to the ceiling light. If the conductors are installed in conduit, you can gently tug on one of the 3-way switches black screw and listen if the wire is connected to the ceiling box. Turn the breaker to OFF prior to backing the switch out from the wall.

If the house is wired using Romex cable, then you would need to turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and use a metal stud finder to locate the ceiling box (assuming the ceiling box is metal and not PVC plastic) or use an audible toner tracer. See answer below on 3A)

If the house is wired in Romex and the ceiling box is PVC plastic, you can also use a toner/probe to trace the wires. See my response below on answer 3A.

1A) 3-way switches can also be used to control a switched wall receptacle. If unable to determine if controlled by a ceiling light, check your wall receptacles with a 3-prong cube receptacle tester to determine if they are constantly hot or possibly switched.

2) If the ceiling box was buried in drywall or some other covering, that is a violation of the National Electrical Code. All wall, ceiling, splice and pull boxes must remain as "accessible" per code.

3) For the dead light socket, you can tug on the wires if the house was wired in conduit. Turn the breaker to the OFF position prior to removing the light socket.

3A) If wired in Romex, you will need an audible toner and tracer probe to trace out the controlling wall switch. If you know which breaker controls the light, turn it OFF. You will need a toner such as the type shown on the link below which is available at your local Home Depot. Lowe's also sells a similar tracer model:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-TRACETone-Cable-Wire-Tester-and-Locator-62-140/100598687#.UnVejfko59A

3B) With the circuit breaker in the OFF position, you should also have a 2-prong voltage tester or an AC voltmeter to check the voltage at the light to make sure the light is not wired using a shared neutral from another circuit. If no shared neutral, place the alligator clips onto the hot and ground wire at the light. Then go around the room or nearby rooms with the probe and listen for the audible tone. If the wire is connected to the switch from the light, you will locate the wall switch.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience: 27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.
1) Check your duplex wall receptacles using a small portable lamp to determine if any of the receptacles are "split wired", ie, 1 side is always hot and the other side is switched by a wall switch. Split receptacle wiring is very common in Living Rooms, Bedrooms and Family Room areas of the home.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the excellent service rating as well as the bonus............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day..............Thanks again...............Kevin!