Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

The issue, how to automatically cut power to my inhome water

Customer Question

The issue, how to automatically cut power to my inhome water well pump circuit in case of any accidental water leakage in my basement. The water supply plumbing and electrical supply circuitry are located in a confined area in my basement. Should a water leakage occur, I want power to the pump circuit to shut down and reduce the possibility of flooding. I could install a GFCI breaker instead of the current breaker but my question is how will it sense a water leakage so as to shut down?

The pump circuit now consists of dual 20 amp breakers in the distribution panel followed up with 2 inline fuses.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

There are low voltage switches available for the purpose of turning off water supplies when moisture is detected.

Jason :

I can post links to components you would need. If you are open to a phone consultation (for a very slight upcharge), I can walk you through the wiring.

Customer :

o.k. that would be good.

Jason :

The phone consultation is a new feature, only being offered by this site for about the last three weeks or so. I haven't used it yet, but if you would like to try it, I'll need to initiate it from my end.

Customer :

ok

Jason :

Great. You may be prompted to accept or rate an answer, but hold off on that until you consult me on it first. You should get a popup window on your screen detailing the offer (for a phone consultation).

Customer :

got the window. now what?

Jason :

I also need to change the format of our discussion from a live chat to the older format, which we call "Q/A". It's more like a message board... in that I post a reply, then you post a reply. I believe each reply prompts an email to the other party, just letting them know there's been a reply.

Jason :

Stand by for further instruction. If I lose you, keep an eye on your email.

Customer :

any luck?

Customer :

still there?

Customer :

Jason send me a verification email toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Seem to have lost contact.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
I posted an offer for the phone call. Did you get a popup window with details of the offer?

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hi Clyde. Are you able to see this reply? If so, you may have noticed in your last reply that your email address was X'd out. I may need to contact a site moderator to get help with reestablishing contact.

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Clyde, are you able to see this text?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

If possible can you provide a wiring diagram for the transformer, wet switch and contactor?

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Absolutely. If you still want me to call you, just post your number in your next reply. In the meantime, I'll start on the sketch. It will probably take me about half an hour or so to get it made up and posted. Is that okay with you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Sounds great. If you think it would help to live chat lets do it.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Do you mind posting your number here? You may have a private box, below the box you are typing your replies in. If so, post your phone number in there. I can post a screenshot of it to show you what it looks like, if that would help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

how about sending the info to my emal. XXXX@XXXX

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
I'll post it here. I'll have a moderator remove your email address, since this answer will be viewable to a lot of people. I don't think you want to get slammed with a bunch of junk email from having your contact info posted where so many people can see it.

I've already started the sketch, and have most of it done.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Good. I can snip a screen shot.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

This circuit could be installed either before or after the fuse box?

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
The transformer plugs into a standard outlet. The contactor needs to be placed between the breaker for the well pump, and the pump itself. The wires between those two points need to be cut, and routed to the contactor. Wires from the breaker to the top of the contactor. Wires going to the pump connect to the bottom terminals on the contactor. The side connections on the contactor are the coil, which get the low voltage wires from the transformer and the wet sensor.

One thing that's very important...

The contactor must be enclosed in a junction box that remains accessible at all times.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Looks like I only need to get to work. Thanks for your great help. Will highly recommend your services.

Clyde

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Clyde. I appreciate the opportunity to help. If you run into any snags once you get into the project, let me know. I'll be happy to continue working with you until the system is completely functional.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Only one question I have regarding the contactor. Is it designed to cut power on each leg of the circuit? After reading the information supplied from Grainger I'm not quite clear.

Thanks again.

Clyde

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Hi Clyde. Yes, a double pole contactor will cut power on both legs of the circuit for the pump. Any two pole contactor with the proper contact rating and coil voltage rating will work. Make sure you use a double pole, not a single. It's important, relative to safety, to break all energized wires when the pump is off.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hello Jason

I am assembling all the components and getting ready to install. I have a question regarding the wet switch. Do you happen to know what would happen in the event that a leakage of sufficient volume actually covered the switch? Would this create a danger of shock?

Although the pump power circuit would be switched off, there would still be power to the wet switch.

Thanks for your response.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
There will be low a low voltage signal in the wet switch when it's underwater, assuming the outlet the adapter is plugged into is still live. But I wouldn't worry too much about that, as the switch is rated for being submerged.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your answer. I believe everything is going to work as planned. I always try to plan for the worst case. Even though the power will be cut by the contactor circuit arrangement, the storage tank will be full and water will continue to escape until the pressure has leaked off, should there ever be a plumbing line leakage. I been giving thought to installing a 24v , 1" water valve at the exit line from the storage tank. This would automatically close, stopping any water flow from the tank.

I'm anxious to get started.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
That's a great idea, relative to the 24 volt water valve on the tank's output. I am very interested in updates on your progress, and the functionality of the system. Thanks for the followup. If you find that you need more help, please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hello Jason,

I am assembling the wet switch assembly and the diagram supplied with the switch is wired a little differently than the one you supplied. Will either diagram be o.k. to use or should I use the mfg.'s diagram and replace their example t stat circuit board connection with the contactor?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Clyde. Nice to hear from you again.

Either diagram would work, but for the sake of future reference, I would go ahead and follow the manufacturer's diagram.

If you don't mind, please update me after you test the system.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Testing installation before final connection to well circuit.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. Thanks for the update. Can you let me know when you've tested it for full functionality?