AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Need help wiring a GM40AVE-R for my sprinklers. Old timer

Need help wiring a GM40AVE-R for my sprinklers. Old timer was 220v, as is new one. I have 2 reds and a white coming from the wall. 1 red, 1 black, 1 green coming from pump. My question relates to wiring to timer. I would think the 2 reds would go to L1 and L2, but when I look at the schematic, it looks like they are going to COM and COM2, could that be right?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 10 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, one red to L1 and one red to L2. Then jumper from L1 to COM and jumper from L2 to COM2. Connect the pump wires to NO and NO2

AssuredElectrical :

The pump is 220 volts, so the timer will switch the 2 relays when time for the pump to operate.

AssuredElectrical :

L1 and L2 provide power to the timer motor to operate. The jumpers to COM and COM2 provide power for the relays to operate the pump motor

Customer:

ok, thanks. so, I don't need anything into NC or NC2?

AssuredElectrical :

No, those work opposite and turn off power when the timer is set.

Customer:

ok, and one more question, connect the white to green as they are ground?

AssuredElectrical :

well, ground is supposed to be green on both ends, if it was 240 volts before, i suspect they did not have a green wire to pull, Can you verify they were attached together

Customer:

yes, thanks. my father is the one who took it apart, he confirmed they were together before. ok thanks for your help

AssuredElectrical :

ok, mark it with some green tape if you have it handy for future

Customer:

good idea

AssuredElectrical :

you are most welcome, glad to assist

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade