P.J.
P.J., General Contractor
Experience:  Various skills in all areas of construction allows me to help others solve their problems.
75205684

HI there, I want to give my husband a garbage disposal for

HI there,
I want to give my husband a garbage disposal for Christmas, I don't have power outlet under the sink. I have a dishwasher, that is connected to a direct wire underneath, that goes down to the basement. Can I Install an outlet to this direct wire so I can plug both the disposal and the dishwasher into it? and then use an air switch to control the disposal. Or if its easy enough, it might be cheaper to install a regular switch to operate the disposal. then I would have to split the outlet so half would be "hot" or on always for the dishwasher and the other half is powered by the switch correct? please help :)

P.J. :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be working with you today.

P.J. :

Either method you describe would work fine.

P.J. :

The air switch is certainly the simplest.

Customer:

ok... so I can just attach an outlet to this direct wire thing?

P.J. :

Yes. You would only need to insure there aren't too many loads on the circuit already such that the additional load would cause it to be overloaded.

Customer:

how would I know that? wouldn't it only be the dishwasher?

P.J. :

It may be. The easiest way is to trace the wire if you can see it in your basement as you describe.

Customer:

well it goes under the floor, so I assume it goes to the breaker box in the basement

P.J. :

The other is the trial and error method by checking surrounding outlets, etc., to see if they turn off and on with that dishwasher breaker.

Customer:

it has its own switch on the breaker box

Customer:

so how do I wire an outlet to the wire?

P.J. :

Then it is probably by itself.

P.J. :

You will need to add a box either in or on the wall where the wire exits now.

Customer:

ok.... so is there some kind of video or something so I know how to wire the outlet to the wire?

P.J. :

Yes. Home Depot has a video available on Youtube.

P.J. :

There are several videos available on there for just your situation.

Customer:

ok... I guess I cant contact you with further questions, I might have... I have been trying to find this situation on youtube and havnt come across exactly this...

P.J. :

A video title for you to watch is called how to install a switched (or half hot) receptacle.

P.J. :

You can always contact me back here.

Customer:

now I am worried that I just spend $ and I still don't know how to wire this outlet in

Customer:

but I would have to pay again coccect?

P.J. :

You would not.

P.J. :

There is a time limit I believe but I think it is a week or so.

Customer:

ok lol... I guess I should have asked closer to Christmas when I would actually be installing it

P.J. :

Oh. Well at least search the videos and I think you will find what you need and won't need any further assistance. You can handle it.

Customer:

so would I still need the switch to be half hot, if I go with the air switch? instead of the regular switch?"

P.J. :

softcellelectrical is the person that uploads many useful videos on Youtube.

P.J. :

You would not want an half hot outlet with the air switch

P.J. :

It would be a regular duplex outlet that is hot all the time.

Customer:

ok I though so

Customer:

so the wire that connects to my dishwasher, should be the same kind of wires that are in the videos that they attach the outlets to right?

P.J. :

Yes.

Customer:

I have seen some videos where they attach the end of am extention cord, or a "pigtail" they called it... could I also do that?

P.J. :

Cord and plugs are allowed in most locations and by most manufacturers.

P.J. :

Most can't exceed 4 feet long.

Customer:

hmmm.... ok, well thank you!

Customer:

one more thing

P.J. :

Ok

Customer:

if I did want to install a regular switch... would I use this same wire?

Customer:

how does that wor?

Customer:

work*

P.J. :

You would need to add a new wire from the new box containing the outlet to a new switch box.

Customer:

so I would wire the box as we discussed above and the take a new wire and also attach that to the box, and then attach the other end of that wire to the switch, and when I plug the dispoal into the outlet and take off that metal pc between the two screws to make half hot, then the witch will control the disposal?

P.J. :

Yes. The details of how to connect those switch wires will be in the video but you are correct.

Customer:

but either way attaching the outlet box is the same and the first step right?

P.J. :

That is correct.

Customer:

ok...I hope it all works out!

P.J. :

I'm confident it will. You sound like you have a good understanding already.

Customer:

thank again