Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have a 2013 double oven to replace an old 3 wire oven. the

I have a 2013 double oven to replace an old 3 wire oven. the instructions to convert from 4 to 3 suggest connecting the two through a grounded junction box with the neutral and ground joined within. Because I have an existing 3 prong receptacle, I don't want to pull that wire.

I'd rather jump the ground on the back of the stove to the neutral post, but I haven's seen any recent posts on really new appliances. They don't provide this as an option in the manual and there is no "official" grounding strap. Didn't know if that was still a workable option.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

We still connect the chassis grounding strap inside the back of the unit to the middle (neutral) post. That's an option that is very frequently used.

Customer:

That confirms that. Will a 10 awg with ring connectors do the trick?

Jason :

What is the amperage listed on the data plate?

Customer:

Last question. I assume it does not matter which of the outside grey wires in the new cord attaches to red or black so long as the middle is connected to white?

Jason :

Yes, that's correct. Either hot wire can go to either of the outside posts. But about your second question, I just want to make sure the wire doesn't get overloaded. #10 wire is only rated for 30 amps, so the amperage rating from the appliance's data plate is important.

Customer:

the only data plate I saw has V, KW and Hz.

Jason :

What is the kW rating?

Customer:

within the manual I have a chart that references appliance rating watts 240 v

Jason :

OK, if you have that, you can save me some math.

Customer:

less than 4800 W - protection circuit recommended - 20A

Customer:

4800w-7200w - 30A

Customer:

7200-9600w - 40A

Jason :

That sounds right... 240v X 20 amps = 4800 watts.

Jason :

I may have missed it... did you already post the kW rating from your unit?

Customer:

6.8 for 120/240

Jason :

I see that as about a 28 amp load.

Jason :

So your #10 wire is okay.

Customer:

Glad you can do this stuff

Customer:

thanks very much

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.