Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

Im not an electrician. Im installing a legrand wave light

Customer Question

I'm not an electrician. I'm installing a legrand wave light switch. It came with a locator light. I've installed the switch and it works fine, but the light doesn't ever come on. The switch is a slave in a 3-way installation. I've tried a number of wire configurations. Any suggestions?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 10 months ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..can you give me the Legrand part number for the switch?

When you say that the light never comes on, do you mean the locater light? Or the light in the ceiling?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ASWV1532M2 and I mean the locator light doesn't come on. The ceiling light comes on just fine.

Do you have the common hot connected to the common terminal on the switch?

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

If by "common", you mean the terminal labelled "hot" on the switch, the answer is yes.

That's the one.

Ok, what is happening at the other end of this circuit? Do you have a second one of these three way switches?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The installation is in a hall with a corner. The hall runs from my front door to the corner and then down to the bedrooms. At the corner are 2 legrand dimmer switches ADPD453LW2. Each one operates the lights in one part of the hall. At the two end locations (by the front door and by the bedrooms), I have installed the Wave switches. The lights all operate as I would expect them to, but the locator lights in the two switches don't come on. Either they both don't work (seems doubtful), or I've done something incorrect. And, please note that the ceiling lights are LED pot lights.

I should have made it clear that each Wave switched is paired with a dimmer.

Also, I was just on the Legrand web site looking at a video and wonder if the order of things matter. I put the light in the switch first and then installed the switch. In the video they have you hook up all the wires and then put the light into the switch. Could the order matter for some reason?

That may be it right there. The LED lights do not allow a small amount of voltage to pass through and power the locater light.

Can you temporarily replace them with regular light bulbs just to see - or is that not feasible?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hmmm. That's interesting. I did convert to LEDs because of the energy conservation, so that makes sense.

I'm not at home right now, but I can try it when I go home at 5:00 (it's 3:00 here now).

Is it ok if I get back to you after that?

Sure, I'll be here :)

Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. Sorry for the pause.

You're welcome.

Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Steve. I'm home now. I've changed the bulbs and the locator light is still off. I've put in Hallogens.

What should I try next?

Ok, we have the switches wired wrong if they don't work with the halogen lamp. I can tell you though that the illuminated switch will likely not work with LED lamps.

But, let's see if we can figure this out.

Does the hot and neutral wire from the breaker panel come into one of your two switches or the box in the ceiling where the light is?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We may have reached the end of my DIY expertise. I don't know how to determine this. There are both hot and neutral wires in the wall where I'm installing the switch. That's all I can tell you.

Ok, how many wires are coming into that box where you have the switch? And what are the colors?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There are 3 - 2 blues and a red. The red is hot.

I'm wondering if I have different sized wires in the same terminal. The instructions say not to do that. I will take pictures and attach.

Ok, so you have that right most likely.

Not sure what you mean by different wires in same terminal. You have three terminals on the switch and three wires - correct?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, that is right. But then there are 2 stranded copper wires from the small light. Is that wire considered the same "size" as the wire in my wall which is solid copper? The instructions say not to put different sized wire into the same terminal in the switch. The 2 wires from the small light are supposed to have one go in the 3-way and one in the neutral terminal, so that is what I've done. Each terminal has 2 holes in it though. Right now, I have both wires (a neutral and one from the small light) in the same hole in the terminal.

Those are fine. They are supposed to be there.

The problem is that you don't have a neutral conductor. You have the hot and two travelers which run over to the other switch. No neutral.

Try this. Run the neon from the hot to the ground. Tell me if it lights up.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry. What is neon? The ground wire is attached to a screw at the back of the box. There is no ground wire coming out of the wall through the box. The switch as a ground wire and that is attached to the screw at the back of the box.

Not sure what you want me to do.

The neon is the small light - the light that illuminates the switch. It has two wires - correct? Connect one to the red and one to the ground. This is not a permanent fix, I just want to see if the neon illuminates.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok. Will take a minute. Be back soon.

Ok, let me know.

Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

That wasn't so hard. I turned off the power; attached the two wires on the neon to the ground and hot, turned the power back on and it lighted up. Yeah. The little light works.

Now you're going to have the answer, right? Smile

Well, on that switch which is at the end of the 3 way arrangement, there is no neutral in that box so the neon not work unless you ground it which is not an acceptable fix although you are not going to burn anything down..

There is no workaround other than somehow bringing a neutral to that switch box. Current has to flow from hot to neutral.

I'm sorry.

Steve

Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience: 27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi. I don't need any more information. I decided to return the Wave switches and replaced them with regular toggle switches from legrand. The job is all done and everything is working just fine.

Thanks.

Good to hear.

Please look me up if you ever need electrical help.

www.stevetheguru.com

Regards
Steve