AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

three way switches with dimmers i have either crossed my

three way switches with dimmers
i have either crossed my common with the power or the dimmers are bad i have been working on this a long time to correct it but sometimes they work fine and others the lights will flicker and go off. are the dimmers cheap and a bad idea or should they be fine and the wiring is wrong. i have books but is there a general rule of thumb on wiring a three way switch
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 9 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

With some more information we can determine what is happening. What is the Make and Model of the dimmer?

AssuredElectrical :

What type of bulbs are in the fixture?

AssuredElectrical :

How many bulbs and their wattage?

Customer:

dimmer trimatron cat no 6684

Customer:

3 bulbs 40watt

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX and the specs for it

AssuredElectrical :

Now what kind of bulbs and how many?

AssuredElectrical :

got it

AssuredElectrical :

are they incandescent? cfl?

Customer:

clear incandecent

AssuredElectrical :

ok, so the dimmers should work fine in that application

AssuredElectrical :

now, do they work properly? turn the lights on with one switch, off with the other, then on again with the other, off again with the other, back and forth 3 times?

Customer:

done that and they work the problem is when i turn the dimmer all the way up the lights flicker and go off. righ now i cant get them to come back on. the bulbs are not burnt out, and infrequently work or do not

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, that is a sign of a bad dimmer if the switches operate properly with the on-off scenario.

AssuredElectrical :

Didnt by chance connect it with power on?

Customer:

no i always triple check

Customer:

dont like the shock

AssuredElectrical :

ok, just checking, that will sometimes kill a dimmer

AssuredElectrical :

The rotary style unfortunately are not the best for longevity and performance. Quality has gone down with the out of country manufacturing

Customer:

ok so ill replace the dimmer

AssuredElectrical :

The slide style with multiple use bulbs are well built.

Customer:

is there any way to repair a faulty dimmer

AssuredElectrical :

No, they are considered a trow away item

AssuredElectrical :

throw away, sorry

Customer:

understood, thank you for your help

AssuredElectrical :

you are most welcome, glad to assist

Customer:

one more question please

AssuredElectrical :

sure

Customer:

is there any reason you have that a bulb would burn out too quick on a three way set up with a dimmer switch

AssuredElectrical :

Not on a standard incandescent bulb unless a switch or dimmer is making them flicker, like a bad switch contact or dimmer. The flickering causes the filament to weaken and break.

AssuredElectrical :

Other than that , no.

AssuredElectrical :

I would always get 130 volt bulbs though, they last longer

Customer:

these are a 65 watt indoor flood

AssuredElectrical :

yea, BR65

Customer:

so those dimmers could beght the box bad also and i just got a bad batch when i bou

AssuredElectrical :

Many bulbs today are not what they used to be in quality. I always use the major names personally and stay away from so called "specials"

Customer:

sorry those dimmers are bad also and i just got a bad batch when i bought the box

AssuredElectrical :

They could have easily failed quickly because of the quality yes. If it has been only a few days or so, I would take them back.

Customer:

thanks again

AssuredElectrical :

We see lots of timers and dimmers that only last a few days. it is amazing

AssuredElectrical :

you are welocme

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade