Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I want to use my dedicated 30A dryer circuit to power an electric

I want to use my dedicated 30A dryer circuit to power an electric brew kettle which contains a 5500W heating element (obviously, I won't be using both the dry and the kettle at the same time). Because brewing involves water, I want to replace the existing 30A breaker in my service panel with a GFCI breaker. I purchased the right Square D GFCI breaker, but ... when I look at where the current 30A breaker is in relation to the neutral bar, I have doubts that the pigtail on the GFCI breaker will reach. Is it okay wirenut (or splice via some other method) an extra length of wire onto the GFCI pigtail so that it will reach, or am I faced with moving some breakers around to get the GFCI unit closer to the neutral bar?
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I do not see any reason why you can't do that. Please use wire of the same gauge, twist them together first with pliers and then wirenut.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the help - I thought it would be okay, but I like to do things the right way.

Absolutely. Better safe than sorry :)

Good luck, Please rate my service using the smiley faces or stars that appear right here on this page It is the only way I am compensated by this site. It works like an eBay or Amazon rating so please consider clicking on one of the better choices :)

It does not close our discussion. We can continue if needed.

I thank you in advance.

Regards

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Steve,

This isn't really related to my initial question, but today I received an email (ostensibly from you, Steve G., but really from some automated system at JustAnswer, I think) asking whether I received my answer and whether I rated you. I did both, and just confirmed that my rating was received by following the link back to our email exchange and seeing the "You rated: Good Service" indication at the bottom.

I want to be sure you are paid and that there is no problem with the "workflow" in JustAnswer, but I don't want to continue receiving emails bugging me about this. Is there something else required of me?

Peter

Hi Peter, I did not send the message to you. I do believe that they are created and sent by the site. I do apologize. I do see that you rated me so I thank you for that.

I will forward your comments to the admins here.

Thanks again.

Steve