Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

At the light fixture, i have a white wire, a red wire, a green

At the light fixture, i have a white wire, a red wire, a green wire, and a brown wire that has a wire nut on it and is curled up in the gang box. I DO NOT HAVE A BLACK WIRE COMING OUT OF THE CEILING. My fan with a light i am trying to hook up has a blue wire, black wire, and a white wire and a green wire. Mu question is, which one is the hot wire coming out of the ceiling if there is no black wire?? name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Not all hot wires are just black. Per the National Electrical Code, a hot wire may be any other color except white, gray, green or bare copper.

2) Will the ceiling fan be installed just using the pull chains or do you have a wall switch that will control the fan and light kit?

3) The ceiling fan blue will be for the light kit. The ceiling fan black will be for the fan motor. The ceiling white is the neutral and will connect to the fan white. The 2 green wires are grounds and will be spliced to each other.

4) In order to identify if the red or brown ceiling wire is the hot, you will need an AC voltage tester, preferably a 2-prong AC voltage tester (contact type) or an AC voltmeter to determine. Let me know if you have such a tester. If not, any chance that you can borrow a voltage tester from a nearby neighbor or a friend?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before i took the light fixture down, it was controlled by a dimmer switch on the wall but the fan has a remote control so i will be leaving the dimmer switch on and just using the remote control. Yes i can borrow tester but now that u responded to me i can guarantee u that the rew wire is the hot wire because the brown wire always has had a wire nut on it and was not connected to anything when i removed the light

Thanks for the replies Mike.

1) Turn the breaker to OFF. Look at the two wires spliced onto the dimmer switch. One of the colors leaving the dimmer switch should either be red or brown then. That color will be the switched loop wire leaving the dimmer switch. It is only hot when the dimmer switch is activated. Sounds then like the red wire is the switched loop conductor leaving the dimmer switch then. You can confirm if the brown is a constant hot wire using a voltage tester.

The receiver will have 3 wires for the LINE side or power feed side, ie, black, white and green. The receiver black gets connected to the ceiling hot (red or brown), Receiver white gets connected to ceiling box white. Greens get connected together.

The receiver out or LOAD side will have 1 blue, 1 back and 1 white. Blue gets connected to the blue on the fan for the light kit. Black to black for the fan motor, white to white for the neutrals and green to green for grounds.

If the brown is a constant hot wire, the remote receiver black will connect to the brown, white to white on the receiver and green to green.

2) DO NOT connect the fan motor to the dimmer switch. A dimmer switch will eventually destroy the fan motor.

Ceiling fans require a separate 3 speed wall switch that is rated only for ceiling fans or using the pull chains if hard-wired and not using a remote.

3) Since you will be connecting a remote control to control the fan and light kit, there is no need for a wall switch, unless you want to install a single pole single throw wall switch in place of the dimmer to completely turn the fan/light kit OFF ad over-ride the remote. If so, the dimmer needs to be removed and replaced with a regular ON/OFF snap switch.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

1) Using a 2-prong voltage tester at the ceiling, 1st turn the breaker to OFF. Remove 1/8" of insulation at the white, red and brown ceiling wires. Spread them apart so they don't short out. Turn the breaker back to ON. Place 1 probe on the neutral and the 2nd probe on the brown wire. If the brown is a constant hot, you will get a 120 volt reading. If the green wire at the ceiling box is terminated to a metal ceiling box, repeat the same test. Place 1 probe to the brown and the 2nd probe to the green, you should also measure 120 volts here.

2) Repeat the same procedure using the red wire. Turn the dimmer switch to ON, place 1 probe to the ceiling red and the other probe to the ceiling white. Measure for 120 volts with the dimmer switch ON & OFF. This will confirm the red wire is connected to the dimmer switch.

Let me know how you make out and reply back with any questions...........Thanks.........Kevin!

Hi Mike............thank you for the excellent service rating.............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just reply back to me at this question and I'll be happy to assist and answer any questions that you may have.

Take care and have a great remainder of the weekend...........Thanks again.........Kevin!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
U as well. Thank u for the help
No problem Mike... glad to always assist our customers here...........Thanks.......Kevin!