AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Hi. I am trying to hook a Lutron cfl dimmer up to replace an

Hi. I am trying to hook a Lutron cfl dimmer up to replace an existing switch. The problem that I have is the switch I want to replace is wired to another switch. One wire Is screwed to the top input on the old switch (black wire) then the other lower terminal is wired (black wire again) to the top ter,imal of the neighbouring switch. The lower terminal of the neighbouring switch is wired back into the wall. If I merely attach the red and black wires from the dimmer to the respective black wires from the old switch, will the dimmer work?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist. Wireitup is not online at the moment

AssuredElectrical :

So, does the dimmer have only 2 connections and a ground?

AssuredElectrical :

And the old switch you are replacing has only 2 terminals, one wire goes into the wall and the other actually connects to a switch next to it?

Customer: It also has a third red and white striped wire
Customer: correct
AssuredElectrical :

ok, do you have actual model number?

Customer: DVWCL-153PH
AssuredElectrical :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX get those specs

Customer: it also seems that the second switch is similarly attached to a third swith. All switches operate different lights.
AssuredElectrical :

ok, thanks

AssuredElectrical :

On the existing switch, that wire that connects to the switch next to it, that is the HOT wire

Customer: Okay
AssuredElectrical :

So remove that wire from the switch and connect to the Black wire on the dimmer

Customer: okay
AssuredElectrical :

The wire that goes into the wall from the existing switch, will connect to the RED wire on the dimmer

Customer: and I'm assuming the green on the dimmer should be attached to a ground screw on the. Ack of the box?
AssuredElectrical :

that is correct on the green and ground

AssuredElectrical :

The Red/White stripe wire on the dimmer, you will cap it off and tape it. Nothing will connect to it.

Customer: have capped that already
Customer: the dimmer should work if hooked that way?
AssuredElectrical :

ok, great. That wire is only used when you replace a 3 way switch.

AssuredElectrical :

yes, it should work perfectly. Make sure you wire it up with Power OFF, dimmers can be damaging if connected while power is ON>

Customer: i have turned the breaker off. The lights attached to the switch went out
AssuredElectrical :

ok, great

AssuredElectrical :

Anything further, let me know, just reply

Customer: worked. Thanks!
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade