AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

Leviton IllumaTech Dimmer Stopped Working

Hello. I have a room with 2 lights that operate off a Leviton IllumaTech dimmer. It suddenly seemed to stop working. It will not turn the lights on/off and the little green "finder" light is off. This particular unit is right next to another identical dimmer switch that is working. Any help you can offer as to why the first dimmer is not working and how to fix it is appreciated.

Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 9 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Is the dimmer, the only switch that controls that light? No other switches for the same light?

Customer:

The dimmer controls two lights simultaneously. It is the only switch for these same two lights.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, so it is a single pole dimmer, thanks

AssuredElectrical :

Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester?

Customer:

No, I do not.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, we can work without it

AssuredElectrical :

The dimmer has 2 wires connected to it, so with the green illuminator off, it appears the dimmer is bad, To test, turn off power, remove the dimmer from the wall, take the 2 wire connections off, tie the 2 wall wires together that were attached to the dimmer. Turn on power---if the light comes on, the dimmer is bad and you need a new one.

Customer:

OK. So I should turn off the power at the fuse box?

AssuredElectrical :

Just for that circuit, , one breaker or fuse depending on your panel. no need to turn off the whole house

Customer:

OK. That is what I thought.

AssuredElectrical :

ok, do that and lets see if the dimmer is bad. If the lights do not come on for any reason after connecting the 2 wires directly to each other, then there may be a loose connection in the box at the switch.

Customer:

Here is an update. I am cycling through my circuit box trying to find the one that turns off the power at this switch.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, if there is a switch next to the dimmer, use it find the cicuit

AssuredElectrical :

They are both most likely to be on the same circuit.

Customer:

I found the circuit and have it turned off.

Customer:

I have opened up the dimmer box. There are 4 wires coming out of it. Two are red, one is black and the other is green. Which should I tie together?

AssuredElectrical :

ok, excellent

AssuredElectrical :

so, there are 2 red wires in the box connected to one screw on the dimmer?

Customer:

Let me explain better what I am seeing. There are 4 wires coming out of the dimmer ( 2 red, 1 black, 1 green). They are connected in the following manner to wires from the box.

Customer:

Dimmer Green wire > copper wire (possibly a ground)

Customer:

Dimmer Black wire to Box black wire

Customer:

Dimmer red wire to box black wire

Customer:

Dimmer red wire to box red wire

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

That is a 3 way dimmer, so there should be another switch that controls the lights

Customer:

This dimmer switch is next to a regular switch that is used to activate a half hot outlet.

Customer:

The half hot outlet does not have an active device plugged into it.

AssuredElectrical :

If the dimmer has 3 colored wires and connected, it is a 3 way dimmer. This is used when 2 switches control the same light.

AssuredElectrical :

Has there been any remodeling to the home? Changes somewhere and a switch removed? Switch covered over with drywall?

AssuredElectrical :

'with 3 ways, either switch can stop the circuit, so we have to know which one is bad. That is what I asked earlier on how many switches.

Customer:

It is a relatively new home (3 years old.) There has been no remodeling since it was built. The switch has worked since we moved in 3 years ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, understand. But with 3 wires on that dimmer, it is a 3 way. Are there any switches anywhere that you have not used? or do not know what they control?

Customer:

I do not know which half hot outlet the regular switch that is next to the dimmer switch in question controls.

Customer:

The model number on my dimmer switch is IllumaTech IPI06

Customer:

The Leviton website indicated that the IPI06 is a 3 way switch.

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, with 3 wires connected it is a 3 way dimmer where 2 different switches operate the light

AssuredElectrical :

They operate totally different than when one switch operates the light

AssuredElectrical :

One switch sends power to the other switch and they flip flop back and forth.

Customer:

Also, please remember that this one switch is turning on 2 lights mounted in the ceiling. I don't know if this would have anything to do with it.

AssuredElectrical :

Only if 2 wires were connected to one wire from the dimmer would it make a difference

Customer:

This particular set of 2 lights is only turned on/off (and dimmed) by this one dimmer switch.

AssuredElectrical :

We can try something, but with the wiring installed, the lights still may not work

AssuredElectrical :

Take the black wire connected to the dimmer black and connect it to the red wire connected to the dimmer red, turn on power and see if the lights come on

Customer:

Wow. I just figured it out. You are right - there was another switch that controlled the lights. I just found it. I always assumed it controlled a half-hot outlet somewhere. I turned the circuit back on and then flipped the other on and the lights popped on.

Customer:

Now I feel stupid.

AssuredElectrical :

No, it happens often, not a problem

AssuredElectrical :

But, the dimmer is probably bad, try it and see if it turns the lights off?

Customer:

The dimmer is working. And the green indicator light is back on.

Customer:

It seems like everything is working fine now.

AssuredElectrical :

ok, need to be sure of the switches working together

Customer:

Yes, they are.

AssuredElectrical :

Use one to turn the lights on, the other to turn the lights off. Do that 3 times to check switches

Customer:

Thanks for helping me learn about my house!

AssuredElectrical :

no problem, glad to assist.

Customer:

Yep. Everything seems to be working now. Each switch turns the lights on/off. Thanks.!

Customer:

I think that's all then.

AssuredElectrical :

ok, great, you are welcome

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade