Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

my ceiling has more wires than expected

The black and the red wires (from the ceiling) are connected to each other and capped. I left them alone. What I discovered when removing the first fan is, two white wires from ceiling connected to white from fan, and a blue wire connected to a black wire from the fan (no blue from first fan). The new fan has blue and black wires. might you have a suggestion?

Two more bits of information that I should have included; 1) house is 102 years old, and 2) fixture is on a single switch.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. From your description, I suggest connecting all the whites together and the fan black and blue will connect to the ceiling black wire. Having only the one switch makes both fan and light work together.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, Mike. What then should I do with the blue wire from the ceiling?

If that is the one that was connected to the previous fan, connect it to the blue and black.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've done that. I turned the power back on, and I hear a hum, but the motor does not move.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?
Did the light work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No tester. Lights work.

If the light worked, the connections are correct. The him is more than likely a bad capacitor in the fan. Is this a new fan?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is fresh out of the box, but has been waiting a while to be installed.

Well as I said, if the light worked the fan is motor has a bad capacitor. Open the section above the light kit and see if there is a square plastic component with wires coming out of it. If it looks deformed by heat, it will need replacing. Let me know for instructions on replacing it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the assistance. While I had originally completed the work correctly, your expertise was greatly appreciated as you had validated the concern that the fan was not working, for which I had been entirely unsure.

You're welcome. Glad to help.