Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience
29848548

my ceiling has more wires than expected

The black and the red wires (from the ceiling) are connected to each other and capped. I left them alone. What I discovered when removing the first fan is, two white wires from ceiling connected to white from fan, and a blue wire connected to a black wire from the fan (no blue from first fan). The new fan has blue and black wires. might you have a suggestion?

Two more bits of information that I should have included; 1) house is 102 years old, and 2) fixture is on a single switch.

Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. From your description, I suggest connecting all the whites together and the fan black and blue will connect to the ceiling black wire. Having only the one switch makes both fan and light work together.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you, Mike. What then should I do with the blue wire from the ceiling?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
If that is the one that was connected to the previous fan, connect it to the blue and black.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I've done that. I turned the power back on, and I hear a hum, but the motor does not move.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?
Did the light work?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No tester. Lights work.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
If the light worked, the connections are correct. The him is more than likely a bad capacitor in the fan. Is this a new fan?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It is fresh out of the box, but has been waiting a while to be installed.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Well as I said, if the light worked the fan is motor has a bad capacitor. Open the section above the light kit and see if there is a square plastic component with wires coming out of it. If it looks deformed by heat, it will need replacing. Let me know for instructions on replacing it.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike,

Thank you for the assistance. While I had originally completed the work correctly, your expertise was greatly appreciated as you had validated the concern that the fan was not working, for which I had been entirely unsure.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.
You're welcome. Glad to help.