machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician
Experience:  AC/DCElectricity / Relay and apparatus/circuit reading/ 30 yrs Bell South

Hi,I am just wondering why my computer reacted with two

Hi, I am just wondering why my computer reacted with two loud explosive sounds after being turned on. It had been switched off for a month. The computer had a burnt smell afterwards. I wonder if the power outlet on the wall is related, as this outlet has a dent just beneath and appears to be leaking some liquid. There is also a snaking line extending from the outlet indicating perhaps an issue. I have attached photographs. The outlet was connected to an extension power outlet with three additional plugs. Thanks.

Category: Electrical
Expert:  machinc replied 9 months ago.
Sounds like the trouble is in the computer.

If the other appliances, lamp whatever
are working then the outlet is fine.

Do not try to turn the computer on and unplug
it .
The fact that the problem happened when you turned the
computer on means there is an electrical problem in
the computer.

Machinc

Expert:  machinc replied 9 months ago.
The marks on the wall could be coincidence
from high humidity in the room. Which also could
have caused the computer problem.
It is also possible that it is just a problem with the m
computer.

Machinc
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thankyou. Could there be a cause for the liquid draining down, there is definitely a streak of liquid from the outlet.

Expert:  machinc replied 9 months ago.
If the room is not used often moisture couldcome from a change in temperature. Check around the top of the wall for leaks. Machinc
Expert:  machinc replied 9 months ago.
If there is a leak or high humidity the moisture in your computer could have shorted it out when it powered up. Other signs are a stain in the ceiling or windowglass is wet.Machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician
Experience: AC/DCElectricity / Relay and apparatus/circuit reading/ 30 yrs Bell South
Expert:  machinc replied 9 months ago.
If you have any other questions I will be glad to help.

Machinc