Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.

Im writing a script and ideally want power to be out in certain

I'm writing a script and ideally want power to be out in certain places in a small/medium sized lodge/bed&breakfast. Is this possible? As in, the light can be on in a long hallway but off in an adjacent room or reception hall? Or off in a large reception hall but then off in the adjacent smaller sized tea room (or visa versa).

I read there can be multiple circuit breakers. Which means that one half of the lodge might go but the rest be fine?

And, if I go with the breakers tripping and power being out in one area, in another area I'd like a lightning strike to cause a power surge to the bulbs -- they were on but the strike makes them glow brighter (and in some cases, burst). This can happen right? And can BOTH happen to one lodge in one night -- 1st the lightning strike tripping a breaker and 2nd a strike causing a power surge in a different part of the lodge.

Would really like your input! I'm writing a found footage horror where I'm trying to make plausible why my guy would still be filming/carrying around a camcorder bc the LED battery-powered light on top shines the way through potentially dangerous areas. I already had the power surge in there so seeing if blacked out parts of the lodge could work in tandem with this idea.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

A typical modern home - or even older homes have multiple lighting and power circuits. For example, in my house, my upstairs and downstairs lighting is on separate circuits. Downstairs, I have three circuits of power plus the Kitchen circuits, upstairs I have two power circuits. In my basement I have 5 circuits.

So any one of those circuits can go out if the breaker trips and the others stay on.

I'm not sure if a lighting strike could actually cause a light bulb to blow but I find it feasible and believable.

Keep in mind also that many modern camcorders have infra red illumination which allows them to see in the dark.

So yes, it is perfectly feasible that a violent storm could pop a breaker and cause some light bulbs to pop.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.