AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

My home was built in 1984. All of my fixtures and outlets are

My home was built in 1984. All of my fixtures and outlets are grounded that I am aware of. I am upgrading an existing bathroom fan to a combo unit. I plan on wiring the new unit so that the fan and light come on at the same time. I'm not going to use the nightlight. Upon removing the old fan and electrical connection, I noticed I only have a hot and neutral wire going to the fan. These two wires are routed to the fan from within a metal conduit coming from the switch.

The new fan is supposed to be grounded. I don't see a ground wire of any type or color in the switch box. How do ground the new fan? Thank You
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 10 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Is the conduit fastened to the fan?

Customer:

Yes

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, have you by chance looked in the switch box yet?

Customer:

yes, the switch box also has a separate side switch for an vanity light fixture

AssuredElectrical :

ok, and are there any green wires connect to the switches?

Customer:

yes, but when I checked to see what wires were hot, they all checked hot with a test lead

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, the green wires are ground, sounds like you are using a pen voltage detector and they pick up power anywhere close. They are misleading.

AssuredElectrical :

Do the green wires connect to the switch and then screw to the box? or to other green wires?

Customer:

ok thanks. I probably should use a multimeter then with separate leads?

Customer:

I don't see any wires directly connected to the box

AssuredElectrical :

you said there were green wires connected to the switches, is that correct?

Customer:

yes

AssuredElectrical :

ok, so where do the go on the other end?

Customer:

the appear to go into conduit

Customer:

but in the attic there are only the two wires coming to the fan

AssuredElectrical :

ok, so you have 2 completely separate green wires in th ebox, and each one connects to a different switch?

Customer:

yes

AssuredElectrical :

ok and those green wires connect to a green screw on the switch?

Customer:

I believe so

Customer:

what makes my situation a bit confusing is that there are several hot wires within the box that are of colors other than black. I guess it's what the electrician had on had when the place was built

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, I would add a new green wire in the conduit from the fan to the switch. At the switch for the fan, disconnect the green wire, connect your new one to that green and add another short green piece about 6" long and use that to connect back to the switch. That will keep all the grounds together.

AssuredElectrical :

Hot wires can be many colors to help in designating which wire goes where when constructing.

Customer:

Ok thank you. I understand now

AssuredElectrical :

Green is always ground and NOT allowed for anything else.

Customer:

that much I knew anyway about ground

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, excellent. You are most welcome, glad to assist.

Customer:

Thank You for your help and have a good day!

AssuredElectrical :

you too

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade