airheatman
airheatman, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Residential wiring for heating,air conditioning,fans,clothes dryers, and general resdential electrical

wiring up Hunter 44155c thermostat. Old thermostat is wired

wiring up Hunter 44155c thermostat. Old thermostat is wired this way. G -- Green wire O/B--Orange wire Aux E--Black and white wire Y--Yellow wire R--Red wire C--Blue wire How should these be wire to Hunter? Thank you, John

Hunter hook up

G--RC--RH--Y/O--W/B--Y1

Category: Electrical
Expert:  airheatman replied 8 months ago.

One quick question.What brand of heat pump do you have, as thermostat will wire a bit differently depending on brand of heat pump.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Gibson

Excellent. Now this particular thermostat was not designed to work with a multi stage system such as you have ( 2stage heat/1 stage Cool).

I can help you wire it to make heat pump work in both heat and cool modes, but you will not be capable of using the heating elements as auxiliary or backup heat.

If you wish to wire without the heat strips we can continue wiring.Or if you would like to get a 2stage heat/1 stage coll thermostat and come back to question I will be glad to guide you through installation

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I live on Gulf coast so heating is not used very much. Actually use plug in quartz heater to heat house, 1600 sq. ft.

Looking at circuit board that plugs into wall mount, Aux E is marked W if

that helps. Has the black and white wires hooked into it.

Ok now here is the issue,
The heat strips are used for 2 things. One , when heat pump goes into defrost they come on to keep house warm during the thawing period . Secondly if you select Emergency heat on a heat pump thermostat. they run instead of the heat pump.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok so will this work? And how do I wire it.

It will work to some extent. It will heat and it will cool, but in heat mode, you will not have your backup heat strips and you will not have the option of just using the heat strips. My recommendation is to get a thermostat designed for 2 stage heat and 1 stage cool.Can you take this back and exchange it? Are you in situation where you need to get some heat or cool on right now?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Can not return it. Also in 3 years of living here I have never turned on the heat so I don't think that will be a problem. Just want to be able to program cooling or the system will be off.

OK. We will wire like this: Green controls fan it will go to G Orange controls changeover valve it will go to Y/0 Black and white control elements (Tape them off) Yellow controls ac unit it will go to Y1 Red is power it will go to RH with a jumper to RC

Then on back of thermostat are selector switches.

SW5 should be set to HP

SW6 should be set to HE

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

So this way I won't have any heat at all, or will I have 1 stage of heat?

You will have one stage heat Which is the heat pump.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok great, I see a switch sw4 recovery. It says enable or disable.

Where should that be?

I would leave it in Enable position
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

This should be my last question and I appreciate your time, the blue wire in you are not using that is in c, is this because this unit uses batteries?

Yes the C is not used. Tape it off though.Do not cut it as you may need it with a different thermostat one day down the road.
airheatman, Electrical Technician
Experience: Residential wiring for heating,air conditioning,fans,clothes dryers, and general resdential electrical