AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I recently installed a new heat tape unit for my supply lines

I recently installed a new heat tape unit for my supply lines coming into my mobile home as I had a woodchuck chew through the old one ! The new unit only draws max 5 amps, which would not be enough to trip my 20 amp breaker should their be a problem. The outlet that the unit plus into is not under the trailer & not protected by a GFCI circuit. I thought about replacing the outlet with one that is a GFCI, but if it tripped, it would probably be day when it's 20 below out, not fun !

So my ultimate goal here is to replace the breaker, which the outlet is the only one on that circuit, with a GFCI breaker. When I went to purchase one, there are so many kinds ! I need some advice on what to purchase. Some of the prices are $100+, not what I was looking for, and I am seeing GFCA, GFCB, totally confusing.

Here are the specs I think you need:

single pole 20 amp breaker 1/2" wide
the power distribution unit is M1224MB1100F, .E series, J2396 Type 1 for mobile homes
the breaker is type QT

I hope I given you enough info, please lmk if you can help !

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Are all of the breakers in the panel the QT style, with 2 mini breakers per 1" space?

AssuredElectrical :

Do you see the name brand on the panel cover?

AssuredElectrical :

Do have at least one unused 1" slot or a couple standard 1" breakers that are not the QT style?

AssuredElectrical :

Just reply when you return and we can work from that point forward, thanks

Customer:

Hi Tommy. It is a Siemens. All of the breakers in the panel are, indeed, the QT style. There are a still few open 1" slots without a breaker, they aren't even punched out yet. Some of the slots have 2-mini breakers, others have 1" breakers with 2 poles. The one I am wanting to replace is a mini-breaker, in the bottom half of of on the 1" slots. The top mini breaker in that slot services another area of my home. Hope this helps !

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, thanks for the information. What you would need to do in your case, since they only make GFCI breakers in the 1" width. -----Purchase a standard size GFCI Siemens breaker-----CLICK HERE to see it at HD----You will disconnect the black wire from the breaker that controls that circuit you want to protect with the GFCI. ---------After disconnecting the black wire, you then trace the wire back to the cable that it is part of.-------- Once you find the cable it comes out of, get the white wire in that same cable -----and follow it to the neutral bar that it connects to and remove it from that bar. ----------You will then install a standard size GFCI breaker in one of the unused slots. ------Connect the black wire to the GFCI, --------connect the white wire to the GFCI (it is marked with white color or is silver). --------Then there is a pigtail wire that is made into the breaker, you take it and connect to the neutral bar where you disconnect the white that was put on the breaker.

AssuredElectrical :

Let me know if any other is needed

Customer:

Excellent instructions ! That listing says 1-1/2". You sure it will fit ?

AssuredElectrical :

They only take up one space in the panel. Guess I use the wrong terminology with the 1" space. Her is the specs on the QT breakers themselves-----These space saver duplex breakers combine two
independent 1/2" breaker poles in a common unit.This unit plugs into one load center stab and
requires one panel space. HACR rated.----------------The little breakers are 1" but add the space in the middle and sides and it is wider.

AssuredElectrical :

Both take up one breaker space each.

Customer:

Thanx Tommy - have a good one !