Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I want to utilize a GE digital timer that is rated for 240v

I want to utilize a GE digital timer that is rated for 240v and as such has a red wire, black wire and ground. I want to replace my current timer which is a 12/3 configuration as the line is 3wire (black, white and ground). How would I wire this timer?
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..is the GE 15318 the new timer or the existing one?

Also, although the old switch was rated for 240V, it sounds like you just had 120V running to and from it. Is that correct?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The GE switch is the new one. Switch (R/B/G) and the line (B/W/G). Thank you.

Ok, >>>here is how<<< you connect the switch to 120V.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If only that simple. The only wires coming into wall box is a black, white and ground. So, it is possible to connect switch black to the line (black), both grounds can be connected. Thus, I have no wire to connect the red from the switch and am left with the white from the line coming into the box. Should the red and white be connected?

Yes, connect black to black, white to red and connect the grounds together.

The white is the switched hot up to your heater. The power comes into your heater's junction box, drops down to the timer and back up.

Regards
Steve