Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

Hooking up the wires to a 220 breaker in 100 amp box. Breaker

Hooking up the wires to a 220 breaker in 100 amp box. Breaker is in already. Have wire ran. And put a recept for my welder. Is there a diagram or something?
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need some additional information from you in order to fully understand the situation.

The welder will have a plug on the end of the cord. Look carefully on the plug and you will see a configuration number like 5-30 or 6-50.

Can you tell me what that is please?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is an old stick welder. You won't find any numbers on plug.

Ok, then take a look at >>>this chart<<< and tell me which plug configuration you have please.

If you don't see yours listed, you may have a locking plug in which case it will be >>>shown here<<<

Let me know which plug you have.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

50 amp 125/250 volt

Do you have three pins or 4 on the plug?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3

Ok. Your receptacle will have three connections. The two hots will connect to the X and Y terminals and your ground to the remaining one.

It does not matter which hot is connected to X or Y.

Please make sure you ground the receptacle and the box.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks but had it hooked up already. had to be connected to breaker in box also as I stated in my question. It is done though

I'm sorry - maybe I was confused then.You indicated that th breaker was in and that you had a receptacle and needed a wiring diagram - which is why I asked you several questions about the plug.

Wiring the breaker is easy. One wire to each pole so I assumed you had that part.

I hope it is a 50A and that you have the correct wiring size.

I'll be here if you need anything else.

Regards
Steve