AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I awoke this morning to find all the electricity in my Fathers

I awoke this morning to find all the electricity in my Fathers bedroom does not work, and 1 outlet in our living room does not work. Everything else in the house works. I checked the fuse box and breaker box, and everything seems to be working properly, and I even changed fuses and installed new ones, but still the same problem. The house is about 125 years old. What do you think the problem could be to occur overnight? What can I do about it?

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester by chance? Or access to one?

AssuredElectrical :

It sounds like a loose connection when it happens suddenly and all breakers are operating properly and no tripping.

AssuredElectrical :

The loose wire can be from either side of the receptacle itself. One or the other can stop power flow to the rest of the circuit.

Customer:

I do not have a voltage tester in the house here, or do I own one or know anyone who has one.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, there are some things to try without one.

Customer:

Is there a possibility that there could be a fire starting in the wiring behind the walls and this is a symptom?

Customer:

I do not smell any smoke of any kind.

AssuredElectrical :

That is very doubtful, it is normally just a loose connection in a receptacle box

AssuredElectrical :

This is very common

Customer:

Recepticle box? Do you mean the fuse box or breaker box?

AssuredElectrical :

No, the receptacles around the room, you may call them outlets

Customer:

But it also involves the overhead lighting in the bedroom, with wires behind the ceiling. And the entire outlet in the living room does not work. I replugged the television into another outlet in the living room, and it works fine. The lamp that was plugged into the outlet does not work either, but works in another outlet in the living room.

AssuredElectrical :

I understand, that is what happens with a single wire being loose at any of the receptacles around the room It can affect one, two or many

AssuredElectrical :

So, do you know which breaker all the dead receptacles are on in the pnale?

AssuredElectrical :

panel, sorry typo

Customer:

I do not...if I went back to the the box, I could try and find out? There are only 2 breakers, it has to be either one or the other, right? If I disconnect 1 and all the electricity remaining is out, then it must be the other.

AssuredElectrical :

Do you have a fuse box also? Or just that breaker box?

Customer:

Wouldn't changing both of the fuses in the breaker box fix that problem?

Customer:

We have a fuse box with 4 glass fuses (and I changed all of them), and a breaker box with those rectangular fuses in it (2).

AssuredElectrical :

With a loose wire, the breaker or fuse has nothing to do with the situation.

Customer:

OK

AssuredElectrical :

See, a wire runs from the fuse to a receptacle, then from that receptacle to the next one, then to the next. It keeps looping until it ends on that circuit.

AssuredElectrical :

So, anywhere in that loop, a loose wire will cause the others to go dead

AssuredElectrical :

the first ones will work and the others will not

Customer:

Oh I see.

Customer:

Could it have something to do with what is plugged into the outlet?

AssuredElectrical :

No, the wire is loose where it connects to a receptacle, anything plugged in has no effect to to it.

Customer:

OK.

AssuredElectrical :

Or the loose connection could be someplace else, just easiest to start at receptacles.

AssuredElectrical :

Let me give some directions for a quick check:

AssuredElectrical :

One test for loose connections in outlets, is to get a lamp with a low wattage bulb
and plug in the outlet.
Take another lamp and move around the room or adjacent room and plug it in---
You then jiggle/shake the plug back and forth left to right and see if either lamp flickers
If it does, you have a loose connection.
The problem can be in the receptacle before the problem one or in the same one.

Remember, just because an outlet works does not mean that it does not have loose wires.
Outlets have power in and power out.
Same for light switch boxes and light ceiling boxes. But the lights and
switches have to be removed to find loose connections.

AssuredElectrical :

So, I would start in the living room where only one is out. Jiggle a lamp plugged into it and any around the wall from it and see if a light flickers in the bedroom.

AssuredElectrical :

No, when you find the problem, the receptacle would have to be removed from the wall and reconnected or replaced. You will need to know which fuse to pull to be safe in working on it.

AssuredElectrical :

Now, sorry another typo

Customer:

OK.

Customer:

I will go now and check out what you have told me.

AssuredElectrical :

Now, that only works for receptacles and is not 100% in showing the problem.

AssuredElectrical :

If nothing shows up, then a tester is needed to go further or you have to start pulling them out one by one and checking connections. A tester helps in many cases to make the search easier

Customer:

OK, then calling a nearby electrician would be the next step if I can not find the problem myself here. Thank you for your time and efforts.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, you are most welcome, glad to assist. Yes, if you are not comfortable removing them and checking etc, best to get an electrician to help on site. It is easier when testers are used.