machinc, Electrical Technician
Experience:  AC/DCElectricity / Relay and apparatus/circuit reading/ 30 yrs Bell South

hi I am trying to install a new security light, in place of

I am trying to install a new security light, in place of an old outside light. I have 4 wires from the ceiling, 2 red(twisted together), 1 black and 1 earth. When I put the 2 red in the Live terminal and black to the Neutral and earth to earth the light comes on but stays on, it won't switch off, can u help ?
1....Check the other side of the room for another switch.If there s one turn it on and see if the light operates.If no switch go to step two.2.....Separate the two red wires.Read each one with a volt meter Turn the switch off then read them again note if the switch is changing the status if either red wire . If so use that one to feed the new light and insulate and store the other.Machinc
3.....take the switch out and see how it is wired.
It should have a hot feed and a leg to the
ceiling that becomes energized when the switch is operated.

Check to see if light goes out when wires are disconnected from switch.
Wire back properly or replace switch .